The Path Shrouded in Mist and Shadow by Meisiluosi

| | |

Fanwork Notes

DISCLAIMER: They are not mine. I merely borrowed them for a while. Once I'm done playing with them, I'll put them back on the shelf, I promise. 

I am an admirer of both Tolkien and of Inner Asian and Eastern cultures. 
Of course I have soft spot for First Age Easterlings.

I have also noticed that betrayers in Tolkien's legendarium tend to be intriguing people who not always start out as downright villainous and rotten. I've decided to try and venture in that direction with Ulfang and his offspring. 

I hope this is just a first installment in a series.

Many thanks to Maglor Makalaure for the beta!

WARNING: I've allowed my inner philologist/culturologist/anthropologist run a bit wild.

 

I've also drawn some pics (drawing Easterlings is a lot of fun) - some links here:
http://fav.me/d172xjw
http://fav.me/d2utaar 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The shadows are deepening in the East and two powerful chieftains, Ulfang and Bór, hold a meeting where much has to be decided and the future path for them and their people is to be set. That path, however, is uncertain, as their final decision has some rather complex and troubling implications.

Major Characters: Bor, Uldor, Ulfang

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 5, 055
Posted on 19 June 2013 Updated on 19 June 2013

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

A note on the names: We know that the names given in the legendarium are elven variations of the original names. I decided to let these people address each other in their own language:
Ylpang = Ulfang
Bör = Bór
Yldar = Uldor

Warning: I've allowed my inner philologist/culturologist/anthropologist to run a bit wild.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you very much...:-)
I'm not sure when I get to continue with this (real world out there keeps interfering with my life) but I've got some ideas (general and specific) as to how I might continue...
Positive feedback is certainly a great motivation...;-)

(I've always felt like there are not enough fanfics about the marginal cultures from the legendarium and unexplored regions of Arda... I think for example Russian fanfic writers tend to cover that area a bit more - a great pity that a substantial language barrier lies between me and those stories...)

This is highly interesting! I had seen your drawing of Uldor on DeviantArt and wondered what kind of story might be behind it. (I've written a story about Uldor myself, but it is of a very different kind.)

I had to break off reading properly and just skim the rest of the chapter because of time issues, but I mean to come back to it at more leisure. Meanwhile I just thought I'd let you know I really liked the start.

Neither of them is decided at the point and I imagine Uldor especially is by no means giving up just yet. That's just that innocence and much of the original enthusiasm gone.
But I might want to slightly rephrase that bit, come to think of it. 

Thanks for the useful feedback...:-)

I landed here from Himring's profile of Bór and the lovely illustration. It is good to read a nuanced story about Ulfang-Ylpang. You've portrayed the uncertainty and uneasiness about both their futures so well.