The Supreme Artist by belegur

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Darkening of Valinor from Melkor's perspective. Now also from Turgon's perspective, but still a lot of Melkor in here!

 

 

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Torture

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 7, 475
Posted on 30 August 2013 Updated on 27 December 2014

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm sorry I didn't comment on this sooner, but I really liked ths piece.  The poetic imagery you use to depict Melkor speaking to his reflection is great.  (And I think I spy a sort of "prodigcal son" allusion?)  There's something satisfying about Melkor's and Manwë conversation about Fëanor, a sense of overhearing something not meant for the ears of common folk.

Hi Belegur! I am so impressed with this story and very glad you’ve decided to continue it. You pack so much philosophical and religious thought/imagery into such concise phrases. This reminds me a bit of the idea that the Devil’s only sin was loving God “too much.”

The last section presents a very convincing scenario to explain Melkor’s desire for the Silmarils.

Also, that rattlesnake metaphor!

Thanks so much! You're right about my Melkor loving God "too much". The idea for this actually came from an old legend - the Devil was cast out of Heaven because he didn't want to bow before God's creation, but only before God himself. As the common perception of Melkor seems to be that he was a rebellious wannabe-Creator, and that he was cast out because of creating his own stuff, I wanted to offer a little twist to this - Melkor who sees any kind of creation as blasphemous.

Again, thank you for reading this!

Interesting to have another's point of view on Melkor after being immersed in Melkor's thoughts for most of the story so far. I really love the description of his (singing vs. speaking) voice. 

In the prior chapter, Ungoliant's characterization was great. Also, the trees not actually being trees!