Sandcastles by Elisif

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Throughout his life, Maglor refines the ability to shape sand with the power of his voice.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 986
Posted on 22 February 2014 Updated on 22 February 2014

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This gave me shivers - your writing is excellent, the emotional resonance and the images are stunning... that's quite beside the point how happy I am to find that someone else could also imagine Maglor with a type of elemental ability (it only makes sense for him to have that type of power in a limited scope considering the creation-from-song of Arda, imho, but I never quite dared to put it down in fic) -- wonderful work!

Thank you! I’m very honoured, and I absolutely agree on the music/elemental ability link, though this piece had more prosaic origins than that- it started life as a not-very-serious Avatar: The Last Airbender crossover, and then somewhere along the way became depressing, (as writing about Maglor always seems apt to do). I do find it odd that with both the logical association of music equating with elemental/supernatural power in First Age Arda (not to mention the actual example of it in the Duel of Song) that we don’t hear more about it; I’m fond of the theory that lots of magical abilities came to be used as novelties in Aman (as is the case in this piece) owing to the lack of need for them, and once in Middle Earth their application were not considered until dire necessity called for it, or perceived as frivolous or even blatantly associated with Morgoth. It adds a bittersweet question of whether or not more could have been done and whether or not things could ever have been any different to the text, something I was aiming for in the final segment of the piece, with such intense power only being mastered and taken seriously long after the time where it could have been vital had passed.