Nerdanel and the doll by Valentis

| | |

Fanwork Notes

 

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A very old Nerdanel looks back on her life from childhood to the present and reflects on her art and personal life while remembering her first work.

Major Characters: Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 329
Posted on 5 September 2014 Updated on 5 September 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

All characters, places and shiny objects belong to Tolkien's estate. Nothing belongs to me, save for the silliness, which I happen to have in spades.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you very much for your kind review; I'm very glad you liked the descriptions of the couple's travels and, most of all found this take on Nerdanel interesting, I worried it might fqall a bit flat. 

As for the doll you are right, it is quite alarming still I'm glad you didn't find it unbelivable.

Thank you again.

Thank you very much for having taken the time to read and review this fic. I'm extremely glad this managed to convey anything, moreso to a person who likes the character, I feared all effect was lost in the translation. Yes, the themes are difficult, still that seems to be bound to happen when you are in any way, shape or form related to Fëanor and his brood. Anyway I wanted to depict a person who managed to go on despite everything without bowing.

Thank you again for your review. 

Thank you so very much for having taken the time to read and write such a kind review for this piece! 

I'm incredibly glad you liked the characterization and knowing that someone who writes as well as you do finds some merit in what I write is an honor. I was worried about the style ending up being redundant in translation and kowing it can still evoke images is a relief. 

Thank you again.

Comments: I've always been very fond of the concept of Nerdanel as a woman with a different beauty that the one generally recognized by the society she lives in. I think it's a very very important detail, and it gives her much more depths as a female character. And that's the first reason your  fic appears as very important to me. 
 
But I also really enjoyed the way you talked about sculpture and creation, and all the things you said about illusion. The parallels on this matter, the way you explained it and expanded the concept of illusion from her art to her reality (and to Fëanor's reality)... That's absolutely fantastic. That's a very clever way to talk about it, and I read avery single word of it with and increasing interest!
 
I've always been convinced that Nerdanel's difference was a strength rather than a weakness, that her body (which is suppose to be less beautiful than others') gives her a huge advantage comapring to others. Because, beyond the self-consciousness which haunts her, she's wise enough to maybe detach herself from it, and see beyiond the flesh (and when it's related to her work as a sculptor, it's fascinating)
 
So I loved reading your fic, which isn't only interesting in its content but also
wonderful in its form. It was beautiful in every way.
 
(Plus, Nerdanel and Fëanor as a couple always fascinate me; their relationship is so interesting and I love them so much *cries because feelings*)
 
(sorry for the looong review, your fic gave me so many feelings!)