Animal Skins by Ilye

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Inspired by a prompt I saw on Tumblr a little while ago. I hope this does it justice.

Dramatis personae:
Tyelkormo - Celegorm
Irissë - Aredhel
Maitimo, Nelyo - Maedhros
Makalaurë - Maglor
Carnistir - Caranthir
Curufinwë, Curvo - Curufin
Ambarussa - Amrod
Sorontar - Thorondor

Fanwork Information

Summary:

AU in which Celegorm is captured by Morgoth instead of Maedhros, and rescued by Aredhel instead of Fingon.


“Well, brothers? Aren’t you going to ask me what kind of creature I am today?”

Silence. A cleared throat; an awkward shifting of weight. Aredhel rolled her eyes, but the drama was his alone and he was going to savour it.

“Ask me,” he pushed, then again more loudly when still no answer came, “Ask me!”

“Well tell us, then,” sniped Curufin from the back of the room, then affected a sing-song. “What kind of creature are you today, Tyelko?”

“Today…” he grinned, and the distance grew greater between him and them. “Today, I’m a Celegorm.”

Major Characters: Amrod, Aredhel, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 5 Word Count: 19, 605
Posted on 9 January 2016 Updated on 2 March 2016

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

I subscribe to the fanon that Celegorm the Fair is actually albino – I feel it goes a long way towards explaining the genetics in the family.

Please note: This chapter contains reference to self-tattooing, which could be construed as self-harm.

Apologies for the delay in posting this final chapter. It was a bit of a struggle to get my idea onto the page. One issue was with the names I'd used throughout the fic; please note that I've gone back and changed those used previously from the Sindarin to the Quenya, to fit with the significance of the name Celegorm chooses and those used in this final chapter.

There are a few deviations from canon here around the Celegorm-Curufin-Luthien arc, to fit with the AU-adapted characterisations (i.e. that Celegorm’s a different kind of crazy here). Any other canon deviations are accidental, so please let me know if you spot them because I’m not too familiar with this time frame.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oops, I realised I was an idiot and reviewed my own story instead of responding to you! Original response:

Thank you! It took a bit of work to get it here, to be honest - I had to go back and rewrite chapter 1 for style after I'd published it - but it does seem to have paid off! Glad you're enjoying it and hope the ending delivers :-)

[Thank you! Had a lovely weekend celebrating!]