A Promise of Lightning by The Wavesinger

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The cosmology is a mishmash of published Silm, Myths Transformed, and The Book of Lost Tales, with a dash of Roverandom. The title is from Movement Song by Audre Lorde.

Many thanks to my wonderful beta! All remaining mistakes are, of course, mine.

Your prompts were all wonderful, and I had difficulty choosing between them, but I hope you like this, Elleth!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The story of Ilmarë and Thuringwethil, from the beginning to the beginning, again.

Written for Elleth for the 2016 RarePair Fest.

Major Characters: Ilmarë, Thuringwethil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Graphic), Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 797
Posted on 5 September 2016 Updated on 5 September 2016

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really liked this story, especially the depictions of Thúringwethil and how she changed-physically and mentally(although Ilmarë was lovely too.)The descriptions of space were wonderful, really vivid and beautiful and fun.

I loved that you explored the aeons before the Awakening, because they absolutely meant something and made a difference to the Ainúr and yet are rarely written about. It was nice to read from a perspective that actually felt true to the Ainur regarding the passing of time, living in “geological time” in a sense, and the way this fit into our (human) understanding of the timelines worked really well.

If I had any criticism, I would say that the ending felt a little too easy. I wanted to know how they managed to fly through the stars again- how Thúringwethil was changed and how that affected their eventual return to love.

But I did really enjoy the way the ending was the same as the beginning, highlighting that it’s not really an end after all.