The Ice Between by Nibeneth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story has been in the making for about a year, and I'm so glad to finally be able to share it with you. Special thanks to Sarah for putting up with my whining as I was working on it and for being willing to help me with sticky problems. Thank you as well to maedhrosrussandol, amyfortuna, and where-the-light-is-given for your insights and/or willingness to lend an extra pair of eyes before I sent it out to the world.

The existence of this fic also owes a lot to Once More, For The First Time by Elisif, which I've long admired for tackling a difficult (and, in my opinion, sorely neglected) subject in the broader Maedhros/Fingon narrative.

Finally, come say hi on Tumblr!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Nearly two decades after rescuing Maedhros from Angband, Fingon visits him at his newly-completed fortress of Himring. Much has changed since they were carefree in love in the bliss of Valinor, and they too must change in order to overcome the obstacles of their new situation.

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Erotica, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Sexual Content (Graphic), Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 7 Word Count: 20, 571
Posted on 9 November 2016 Updated on 20 November 2016

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


As I told you at AO3, I'm loving this story.

I love the complexity of their relationship, the deep and mature love between Maedhros and Fingon, and, especially, the way they are helping each other to recover.

“Why do I need a reason to love you?” he said. His voice shook as much as his hands, which he placed on Maedhros’ waist. Tears started to prickle at his eyes, but he blinked them away. “After everything, I want to be with you. I want to see you happy. I want to be happy with you. I don’t need a reason.”

“So you have none.”

“I love everything you are.” As if defying all the pain he had ever felt on Maedhros’ account, Fingon smiled. “Enough to assault Angband alone on the slimmest chance I might see you again.”

This is one of the best deepest and most beautiful love declarations I've read.
 

I've read stories in which some people as individuals blamed Fingon for Alqualonde and the Helcaraxe, but I think this may be the first time I've read a version in which everyone blamed Fingon and he became a scapegoat for the rest. In itself, the Ice would be bad enough... As he was able still to talk to his father afterwards, as he did, in the previous chapter, I thought it might not have been as bad as I imagined it, but the way you describe it here, it was worse than I imagined it.

You describe the damage and how he is trying to deal with it very vividly. It would be very hard to overcome. I hope the end of this story will at least leave him a better place.

It was preeeetty terrible. His father and his people asked for forgiveness, and he chose to forgive them, knowing that if he held onto it he would only suffer more, but it's not that easy to get over the trauma on his own. He likes to pretend like everything's all right when it very much is not.

Thank you for your comment!