Back to the Shadow by Luxa

Fanwork Information

Summary:

“You come all the way to Belegost to see the Lord of Himring?”

“Yes,” says Amlach.

“I hope you’re not here to impart a message of doom upon him—a memorandum that one of his brothers has died, a notice that the Dark One has broken the Siege, something like that.”

Major Characters: Amlach, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 8, 149
Posted on 6 August 2017 Updated on 6 August 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

I'm finally posting a story I started before I went to study abroad in England- so before January, and I'm back in the U.S. now, having finally finished it. It took so long because I wrote it in my journal and had to type it up, because of my traveling, and because some of my journal got wet and the ink ran out and destroyed about 1,500 words of the story that I had to redo. Basically, this is the story that the world tried to destroy, but here we are anyway!

I didn't have a beta but tried to proofread it as best I could- hopefully spelling errors are minimal. I also have no idea how many people know who Amlach is- I came up with the idea while reading The War of the Jewels, one of the histories of Middle-Earth, but his Tolkien Gateway page links to the Silmarillion as published by Christopher Tolkien, so apparently he's there too (it's been a while since I read it). Hopefully I'm not contradicting that canon- I just found his story interesting, and wanted to know what happened after he left to join Maedhros and his thought process and stuff. Prior knowledge of him shouldn't be necessary, though; I think it's all explained in the story.

Anyway, I hope you like the oneshot!

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really liked what you did with Amlach's stories. Loved the details about Belegost - Amlach's surprised realisation about the Dwarf women, the fresh air in the caverns, the Dwarven doctor. You also dealt really well with the cultural differences between the three groups pictured here. And Amlach's interaction with Maedhros was a treat as well. As fans, we probably find it very easy to understand why someone would want to follow Maedhros, but within the setting, it's clearly less easy, and it was great to see Amlach's reasoning explained (both the things he said out loud and the things he only thought). Your Maedhros is very damaged but nonetheless (or for that reason) very admirable, in his attempts to speak Khuzdul and his apology for the poor choice of wording and his self-control in spite of the pain.

I have to say that I'm rather hoping this isn't going to stay a oneshot! I'd love to read more about Amlach's service at Himring. Thank you for sharing!