A Shadow and a Mist of Dreams by Lingwiloke

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Lulled to sleep by Luthien's spell, Carcharoth dreams.

Major Characters: Carcharoth, Ilmarë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Experimental

Challenges: B2MeM 2019

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 927
Posted on 7 April 2019 Updated on 7 April 2019

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Late crosspost for B2MeM 2019, Prompts: Poetic Language N42: Synecdoche, Poetic Language O72: Rhythm, Hurt/Comfort 2 B12 Tragic Misunderstanding

This grew out of my reading the description for Synecdoche - "a figure of speech by which a part is put for the whole" and somehow immediately thinking of Beren's hand with the Silmaril being dug out of Carcharoth belly. Then when I started writing, I got derailed by thinking to much about Carcharoth, and this happened.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Well done!

Yet, the veil is too smooth, slipping over him almost unnoticeably, a lilting melody that wraps around him velvety and soft and smothers his Master's flames within him, lets him glide from wakefulness into deepest slumber so gently he does not even mark the transition. And so, for the first time in this embodied life of his, he sleeps.

This is a great sentence. In fact, the whole paragraph is moving and well-constructed.

Love the angle from which you decide to view the events.