Upon a Painted Ocean by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Laws & Customs challenge inspired by the prompt:

"But the Lords of Valinor forbade them to sail so far westward that the coasts of Númenor could no longer be seen; and for long the Dúnedain were content, though they did not fully understand the purpose of this ban." ~ The Silmarillion, "Akallabêth"

Fanwork Information

Summary:

“It is said that Amandil set sail in a small ship at night, and steered first eastward, and then went about and passed into the west. And he took with him three servants, dear to his heart, and never again were they heard of by word or sign in this world, nor is there any tale or guess of their fate." - The Silmarillion, “Akallabêth”

Major Characters: Amandil, Elwing, Original Male Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges: Laws and Customs

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 160
Posted on 30 June 2020 Updated on 30 June 2020

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I've always found Amandil's doomed attempt to intercede touching - and tantalising in its lack of information. You have fleshed it out beautifully and believably, and even though you made me cry for the characters, you have managed to bring in some comfort. When Amandil performed the rites for Balkazîr, I felt so sorry that he would have to die alone, so Elwing's visit was a pleasant surprise. And his final vision of the stars, and the great hall and the light and the music, were a touch of hope.