Gone with the Wind by Sleepless_Malice

| | |

Fanwork Notes

[Inspiration] - elfscribe’s most wonderful fic of Manwë and Fëanor was certainly a major inspiration for this (although I never will manage such perfection in writing) – I love this work of art to pieces. Read it at the Silmarillion Writers Guild.

[Rating] - Chapter 01 & 02 Teen and up, overall MATURE

[Written] - For Valar Appreciation Week on tumblr

[In regard to canon...] - This fanfiction does not follow the Laws and Customs of the Eldar (LACE). As canonically, Glorfindel’s heritage remains rather dubious I won’t touch this subject but use the information he accompanied the Ñolofinwëans (because of Turgon) across the Grinding Ice. His motives why he did so will be explored in this story.

[Disclaimer] - The elf and the Valar are (unfortunately) not mine. They belong to J.R.R. Tolkien and Tolkien Estate – I just like to explore their lives a little further. No money is made from this story.

[General] - Feel free to contact me on tumblr: feanope. Well, I feel like the single person on earth who ships this pairing as total OTP <3 and I am carrying this idea in my head for 1.5 years now but have always hesitated to write it down. As always what was meant a one-shot with less then 10k ended up being multi-chapter.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Glorfindel’s violent death has left incurable mental wounds behind and his memory only consists of very small fragments. Thoughts of how he had failed to protect the White City and its inhabitants trouble him to such an extent that Námo seems incapable to cure him. He is released from the Halls of Waiting to reside in Irmo’s gardens to aid his recovery, because: sooner or later, he has to return to Middle-Earth. However, his state remains unchanged and in his desperation, Irmo consults Manwë for guidance how to proceed with the grieving elf in his care, without being aware of their own fateful history.

This story tells their very own and special history and touches Glorfindel’s motives to leave the Blessed Realm behind, and explains what troubles him to such an extent that he fights against the help of the Valar. Can they reconcile and finally forget what had happened between them millennia ago?

Major Characters: Glorfindel, Lórien, Mandos, Manwë, Nienna

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Character Death, Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Graphic), Violence (Graphic)

Chapters: 5 Word Count: 2, 836
Posted on 4 November 2015 Updated on 4 November 2015

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Chapter Summary: Irmo requested an audience with Manwë and pays him a visit in Ilmarin to obtain council from the King of Arda, whilst Glorfindel slowly begins to discover his own fate during Gondolin’s fall.

[Beta Chapter 01] - Thank you ilinnare for plot discussion and advice and SomewhatByronically for beta reading this chapter

[Quenya Names]

  • Glorfindel – Laurefindil/ Laure
  • Fëanor – Fëanáro
  • Fingolfin – Ñolofinwë
  • Idril – Itarillë
  • Turgon – Túrukáno
  • Maeglin - Lómion
  • Gondolin - Ondolindë

[Summary] - After the dream he was given, Glorfindel finally starts to enjoy the pleasantries the Gardens of Lórien have to offer, and slowly memory returns to him. Several weeks later, a visitor he had neither expected nor anticipated pays him a visit ....

[Inspiration for the Gardens of Lórien] - Apart from the information that is canonically available, my concept of Lórien’s garden is very loosely based on the gardens of the Alhambra, especially when it comes to the geometrical alignment of pools and gushing fountains, but it is much more open and bigger, with open fields and lush meadows. Apart from that, I found inspiration in traditional Japanese gardens and the gardens of Tuscany. Also, elements from typical English cottage gardens are undeniable. [Beta] - Thank you, OohLaGalion for beta-reading parts this chapter, and ilinnare for plot discussions

[Chapter Summary] Glorfindel relives Gondolin's fall.

[Warnings] Vivid description of injuries and burns, violence, character death

this chapter is unbeta'd (due to the simple lack of a beta reader)

[Chapter Summary] Instead of the one he so much desires to see, Glorfindel meets Nienna for the first time in the Gardens of Lórien - before being granted another visit of the Elder King

[Chapter Summary]: After long days spent in solitude Manwë pays Glorfindel another visit. [aka basically the chapter with all the Vala/Elf porn you have ever wanted (or not) - sorry not sorry]

[Warning] - M/M, explicit content.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


It's a novel! Wow! Welcome to the SWG and really hope you enjoy posting here. Just began reading it; finished the first chapter and have to jump up and finish making dinner. (Sorry--TMI.)

The language is well done. It is not easy to achieve a "high tone" without sounding stiff when placing words in the mouths of the Valar, but "hey, yo, what's up" doesn't work either. You seem to have found a nice balance. I am curious to see what will come next. Even the best and most pure of heart of the exiles--like Glorfindel--are under the doom of Mandos (although certainly some are more or less cursed than others!) Will return and finish it, chapter-by-chapter. I do enjoy long works.

So happy to see you here.

Hello there, too :) and so many thanks for welcoming me here, it's seriously really lovely and a nice surprise (because here's already bedtime and that's where I am heading in a few minutes).

And even more thanks on the comment on the language, because that was actually the issue what held me back for writing this story for so long; the plot and the idea was in my head for so long but I always post-poned sitting down to write it because I thought I could never do them justice (I am still uncertain if I managed - but I tried my best, and I actually enjoyed to do the research a lot for this fic) - it's fickle, for me at least it is. So reading that it is okay for others is really delighting.

Enjoy your dinner, and I hope you will enjoy the rest of this story, too :)

(and my humble self loves long things, too. Reading long stories, writing long stories and writing long feedback - which i certainly have to do in the next few days as I finally managed to use this account)

Hello back, and thank you for taking your time reading my fic and commenting on it :)

It's lovely to come back after work and having a pleasant surprise in the mail; I've never written such formal tone in any of my fics before but even if it took me more effort to write it, and certainly gave me a headache once in a while (especially the last chapter), I thoroughly enjoyed it to write it this way and somehow it seemed 'right', especially for Manwë.

..and now, that this part of the story is finally out of my head, i somehow desire to make a series out of it because it's simply my Vala/Elf OTP .. but first I have to get some other ideas out of my head.

So in the meanwhile, thanks again for the feedback.