The Forsaken by Artaxastra

Fanwork Information

Summary:

No one speaks of the Forsaken, the elves first taken by Morgoth before the Sun and Moon first rose.  Not even Maglor.

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 709
Posted on 1 December 2015 Updated on 1 December 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I don't  understand why this story hasn't a lot of reviews and thousands of readings. It's one of the most stiking ones I have read, and I have come across a few in the past decade!

First, the suspense. It hold me captive through the whole story, spurring me to read on without pause. Ah, the little hints wisely interspersed, just at the right places to guide my thought along the tale, and at the same time giving space to my fantasy to picture the different possibilities they suggest. I love it when the author "manipulates" me this way, making me their coauthor!

Also, the changing expectations. At the beginning I believed this to be just 'that' kind of tale --- then there comes a hint bringing a point of inflexion, and I expect the story will run along this other course. Again a point of inflexion, and another, and another... every one surprising me.

Then, the caracterizations. With their weaknesses and their so very Elven abilities --- but so matter-of-factly mentioned one cannot help but take them on stride as the most natural thing on the world ---, you show us their inner thinking, and I cannot but respect, understand, and warm towards both figures, no matter their terrible murdering pasts.

And not least, how astounded I was at the scope of this tale. It spands though millennia, giving us readers a priceless insight into the most forgotten point of view in Tolkien's world, that of Orcs. How the Grandmother thinks of them as an independent people, wholly capable of having their own thoughts, realms, hierarchy other than what Morgoth or Sauron want for them (or them for). And giving us at the same time the other side in History, that of Elves, but not as perfect as Pengolodh wish us to believe.

And all this, with a few words, or word, at the right place each time. I love this understated elegance in your style.

I thank you very much for your story, and hope to read soon some more fics from you.

P.S. I ask your pardon in advance for any content or grammar mistakes I have done. Not a native English-speaker. Doing what I can. If something sounds weird or not understandable, I can assure you at least that it was meant as some comment of praise :) :D