Anathema by Harnatano - Lithenna

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Needs new updates...

Fanwork Information

Summary:

From their flight from Himlad to their flight from Nargothrond, Celegorm and Curufin have to face the abyss of their defeat, the bitterness of their broken pride, and the tempting shadows of greed. Through envy, frustration, pain and resentment, they have to choose which path to follow, not yet aware that their choices will affect all the people of Beleriand.

Curufin's pov.

Canon based, more like a personal combination between the different versions given in HoME and the Silmarillion. 

Major Characters: Original Male Character(s), Beleg, Celebrimbor, Celegorm, Curufin, Fëanor, Finrod Felagund, Huan, Orodreth

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death, Suicide, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 14 Word Count: 58, 725
Posted on 3 May 2016 Updated on 19 July 2021

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

First Age - Winter 455. Dimbar, near the river Mindeb.

 The Lords of Himlad have been driven away from their lands, the troops coming from Angband overwhelming their forces in the Pass of Aglon and forcing them to retreat and to flee. With what remains of their riders, they followed the Marches of Doriath, and settled in Dimbar for a few hours.

-

Last update sept, 3, 2017

"Shall you let the Enemy maim him and pillage his lands? Or shall we fight, together? Shall we protect what is dear to us, and give the Black Foe a new reason to tremble upon his throne?”


Last update: sept. 03 2017

Another fight, another flight.


Last update: Sept. 3 2017

The time has come for Celegorm and Curufin to convince Finrod and his people to offer them a shelter, and to accept their offer.

update: Sept 03 2017

Between pain and dignity, expectations and apprehensions, choices must be made, but the Fëanorions' humility is nowhere to be found. 

And in spite of his pride, Curufin must learn to cohabit with new wounds and inner troubles. Luckily, he's not alone.

Curufin and Celegorm finally meet King Felagund privately, hoping to agree with him about their roles and places in the kingdom, but their expectations won't exactly be fulfilled.

New tidings are coming from the North, dreadful and alarming, while Curufin still struggles with doubts, unable to understand the person he has become, unabe to know how to behave with his son.

Last update: Sept 4 2017

Woooo! I know, I know, this is very late, but here it is at last! In this new chapter, I experiment a bit, especially with the characters' perpective, and I hope it is not too confusing for the reader. Feel free to let me know!

Curufin keeps on struggling with self-image and with what it means to be respected and admired, and loved. His mind is too full of contradicting stuff and he doesn't know what to do with it (though he keeps on pretending that he knows).

And if you want the writer's opinion: Celebrimbor's patience with him is praiseworthy.

Warning: There'll be mentions of suicide.

 

Communication between father & son is getting more and more difficult, but a devoted brother can always bring some sort of relief.

   

Orodreth and Finrod have something important to ask, and an opportunity to give to Celebrimbor... And Curufin is not sure what to think of it, and he certainly doesn't know how to deal with it.
{Feat. Young Gil-Galad}

After this succession of disappointments, it's time for a decisive shift in Curufin's motivations.

[Quite a short and experimental chapter in terms of narrative pattern since it relies mostly on flashbacks. I hope it's not too confusing - partly based on this thing i posted a few days ago.] [Besides, this chapter can be read independently of the rest of the story]

Long story short, hm?
.... Celegorm doesn't agree with his brother's initiatives, and Finrod thinks he has to do something about it... for better or for worse.

Daddy issues and politics don't go well together.


TW : Self-harm

The Fëanorian lords shamelessly play with their influence in Nargothrond… Finrod, and to a lesser extent, Celebrimbor, are confused.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Yes, the rush about Tolkien is over, okay, but there is no reason for such a wonderful and till now in every single word fitting to Tolkiens request * for other spirits painting some leaves* story to have earned only one single review!

It is really the optimal gap filler to explain the behinds,  the feelings and thoughts of the two Feanorians when joining Felagund, and at your explanations it really doesn't sound so bad and doomed from the beginning.

There's a lot of understanding and empathetic feelings, that your story evolves... 

Like it, really...

Oh, thank you very much for this so kind and positive review! I try my best to understand the Fëanorians' (mostly Curufin's) motives, and what lies behind their actions. Most of the canon informations barely touch the subject of their motivations at this point of the story, but these informations represent a very good basis and from them (and with a bit of thinking), one can go further and explore the minds of these two Fëanorians (though I suppose it still requires a personal commitment, so the interpretation can only be personal, especially on the matter of the characters' emotional situation). Anyway, I'm very happy you enjoyed the reading, and thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice review!