The Purple Dress by Avon

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Originally written forhe Three Colour Challenge at HASA (which I didn't finish).

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Purple is the colour of deepest mourning, but in the last days of Numenor a young woman chooses to defy convention.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 213
Posted on 8 January 2017 Updated on 8 January 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I actually got chills reading this. It's simply wonderful.

I love how you unveil what is happening so slowly, forcing me to change my initial analysis. At the outset, I thought the protagonist was flouting the death-worship of Numenor, only to find out that she is, of course ... but it is because she expects to be immortal!

The imagery is beautiful and reinforces the dual ideas of death/decay and celebration. And the last line really packs a whallop!

(I also remember the Three Colour Challenge on HASA. Wow. That's a blast from the past!)

This was a fascinating read! It took me a while to understand just when exactly this was taking place (in spite of the summary... I'm slow sometimes! ;)), but that was precisely what made this story so intriguing to me. At first, I thought it was merely about flouting superstition/tradition, and when I realised just why the lady planned to turn the colour of mourning into one of celebration (and what would happen then...), that was a really intense moment. Very well done!