Sunset to Sunrise by Tyelca

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the New Directions-challege in June 2017. Many thanks to Silver Trails, who wrote a wonderful biography on Arien.

Not a lot is known about her character or how she relates to others (here Tilion and Eärendil, with a guest appearance by Nerdanel), so this was the perfect opportunity to explore her personality a bit more.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A quiet night at home for Arien, Bearer of the Sun.

Major Characters: Arien, Eärendil, Nerdanel, Tilion

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges: New Directions

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 360
Posted on 10 July 2017 Updated on 10 July 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Sometimes one can get lost in Tolkien's world and have it feel very much like our own and permit oneself to accept its magical element as plausible and reasonable. With this tale, you fly off into the realm of pure fairie--nothing ordinary or day-to-day about this setting. And yet you touch emotional truths that one can understand.

"Still, between her, Tilion and Eärendil there was nothing going on on Arda’s surface that at least one of them did not know about."

This is a very entertaining concept and interesting part of their interactions with the world and one another.

What I really like about Tolkien's world is that it is so enormous and immersive and it feels like anything's possible without the characters themseves being omniscient and emotionally so distant that they become unavailable.

The Sun and the Moon are visible to everyone, so why shouldn't everyone also be visible to the Sun and Moon? That was basically my reasoning. I'm glad you liked the idea!

I really like the idea of those three beoming friends--that Earendil's arrival helped to resolve the tension between Arien and Tilion.

It does seem to be the kind of  task for which even a Maia might need some emotional support.

Such a sad glimpse of Nerdanel, coming to enquire after Maglor--and yet it's almost a  comforting thought that at least she had Arien to ask about him.

Thank you! Three people dissolve the tension that can exists between two, and with time Eärendil's arrival calmed down the tempers of both Arien and Tilion. I think that once Tilion's crush (can we call it that?) faded, his behaviour returned to 'normal' and Arien saw the person underneath the nuisance.

 

Haha, I personally don't think the Ainur in gener are all that skilled when dealing with emotions, which was how Melkor was able to manipulate so many of them. (Part of Melkor's rebellion consisted of being in touch with his feelings and acting on them, I imagine).

 

Yes it is, isn't it? Despite being hailed as Cursed and Dispossessed Fëanorians, they are her children, as well and I think that is something people forget once they arrive in Beleriand. Arien feels Nerdanel's grief, and by extension empathizes with Maglor.

Oh, I loved this! Firstly, it's great to see Tilion and Arien interact (beyond his silly attempts to chase her and get his beautiful vessel burnt!) and also befriending Eärendil, but moreover because it gave so much thought to how this would work out in the long run! I never thought about how they might cope with everything they get to witness from above. The thought of Eärendil and Tilion as gossipers was as amusing as Nerdanel asking Arien about Maglor was heartbreaking. Loved the description of Arien's mansion and the thought you gave to the physical reality of the Maiar, too!

Thank you! It makes me so happy when people like my stories. Haha, with the phases of the moon and all I don't think Tilion will ever truly stop chasing Arien ;) It was the idea of Tilion and Eärendil as Arda's finest gossipers that made me choose Arien as a subject for this challenge! One day I will write a story about the two of them! I think that Tilion and Eärendil became really close; when Eärendil joined them in the sky, Tilion acted as his mentor, since they most often sailed together. Eventually that morphed into a brotherhood, and when Tilion and Arien made up, she joined them too. I don't think Eärendil would've been able to bear the weight of his duty without Tilion. I don't think that even the Valar can truly comprehend what an impact that can have, which made them find comfort with each other.

The interaction between Arien and Nerdanel almost wrote itself and I can't deny it made me shed a few tears as well ;)

oh, this is wonderful! A gentle, yet sad tale in its own way, but the friendship between Tilion and Earendil made me smile. And of course Tilion is still chasing Arien *wry grin* as though he could do anything else!

Arien feeling Nerdanel's pain made me cry for them both though. The things these Watchers of Arda must see...*wishes I could hug Arien, if she wouldn't burn me that is*

Donut: *perches on his Kaylee's shoulder and offers Arien a fish* Mine?

Hm :) silly seagull. but Donut has an interest in Earendil and Elwing, so that explains him poking in on my review, lol. *giggles*

Thank you for posting this wonderful story! :)

Thank you for the review! Arien, Tilion and Eärendil are the new trinity ;) and with the phases of the Moon being what they are, Tilion can hardly stop chasing her, now can he?

Arien is not really a people person, but nonetheless is deeply empathic. And you can hug her! As long as she's wearing her physical form, you are fine!