Defiant Hope, Take Wing by Lordnelson100

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Caranthir the Dark does business with an Edain, and unwittingly gives rise to the hope of Middle-earth. Maedhros forms a plan.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Fingolfin, Fingon, Finrod Felagund, Haleth, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Alternate Universe, Drama, Het

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Sexual Content (Mild)

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 602
Posted on 30 August 2017 Updated on 30 August 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

The great tales don’t have much to say about Caranthir, fourth son of Fëanor. Good with math; teamed up with the Dwarves over financing and weapon mechanics; afflicted with social awkwardness, so much so that he was best known for offending people, and the ease with which he flushed red with embarrassment.

“We need to start looking,” said Maedhros. “And meanwhile, I have no intention of sitting still while we search for our Half-elf."

When the Host of the Valar came out of the West, certain tragedies never came to pass. But others did.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I cannot say how much I loved this. Caranthir and Haleth, whom I already shipped, were perfectly matched to one another. Their interactions and the slow slide into being husband-and-wife were believable and very cute. The difference in culture was just a detail that enriched the story enormously (especially when Fingolfin was scandalized at the very thought of half-Elven children ;).

I also like how, even despite it being a 'happy ending', not everyone survives. At first, of course, poor Maedhros, who only meant best, and second Celegorm and Curufin. I adore them (yes, I'm a huge Fëanorion apologist). I honestly thought at least Celegorm would not attempt to take the Silmarils, and I hoped Celebrimbor would calm his father enough for him to at least not jeopardize Maedhros' life.

Thank you so much for reading and for reviewing! So glad you enjoyed.

Yes, I too have a big thing for characters who are the least romantic and sentimental people in a story finding each other: but to be true to their business-like nature, it took them a while! And I like exploring the Edain/Noldor culture clash.

Ah the ending: I was very influenced by a series of posts that a user (http://lintamande.tumblr.com I think) did, making the case that whatever scenario you play out with the Silmarils and the Curse, something bad happens: you can't save some without dooming others!

This version is a worse case scenario for Curufin, and he takes Celegorm down with him. In this world, Maedhros, too, hopes that none of his brothers will make this choice: but he plans for the worst. Who can blame him?

I liked how things happen differently in your story but the results are more or less similar-ish: the Valar only listen to a half-elf, the army from the West comes to save the day, the Silmarils are retrieved, Maglor says his best words ("the less evil..."), Celegorm and Curufin do their bad thing and, of course, the Oath cannot be broken without dooming the oathbreaker. Poor Maedhros! He cannot seem to have a happy ending! Let's hope the twins' ship makes it to Valinor.

things happen differently in your story but the results are more or less similar-ish

Thank you so much for such a good comment: yes, exactly, the pattern reasserts itself!

And indeed, let us imagine the twins sailing hom to safety, where Nerdanel, at least can get some consolation from their return!