Young Gods by Fernstrike

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Silmarillion40 event.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

It began in Almaren - when the world was new, and the gods were young, and the World seemed full of possibilities. It began beneath the earth, under great halls, inside a dark mirror.

Major Characters: Arien, Melkor, Saruman, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 520
Posted on 15 September 2017 Updated on 15 September 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love the title. It is a perfect fit with the story. Lots of forboding and foreshadowing beautifully described. The hierarchy of the lot of them is well done--the fearful, the bold, the timid, the restless, the ambitious, and craven, and everyone seems to know or half-guess or wonder where they could fall within the whole.

Love the description of Thuringwethil

"the incessant jittering of the little winged annoyance humming and bouncing around him."

Nice work! Great tone.

Well described! And the two different points of view are used very effectively. Also the contrast between Mairon and Arien (poor Arien, I feel for her suffering!).

It seems to me Mairon is deceived if he is expecting illumination from Melkor, but maybe that's just me retreating into conventional morality?

 

This was really interesting! I love how Arien is both protective of Mairon towards others, but doubtful in her own interactions with him and in her own experiences. And how Mairon is also doubtful, but too proud to share this with others, and already more than halfway of the knife's edge. Thank you for sharing!