Helcaraxë by hennethgalad

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Created for the Silmarillion40 event.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fingolfin, his family and friends, confront the ice and the unknown, and are drawn closer together by their feat of endurance. But Fingolfin suffers bitter loneliness and only the great valour of the other Elves gives him the strength to keep moving.

Major Characters: Aegnor, Angrod, Fingolfin, Fingon, Finrod Felagund, Galadriel, Glorfindel, Lindir, Orodreth, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Song of Exile

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 573
Posted on 29 September 2017 Updated on 29 September 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


That was devastating. The brief opening moment in the darkened garden in Aman really set up the stomach punch of the hellish ice.

The way that Valinor would have seemed like the *worst*, with the light gone and the plants rotting and their safety violated and their trust in the higher powers ripped apart . . . but that the crossing would turn out to be so much worse than they could imagine.

The cold empty ice, the cold empty sky, the desolate cries of the remote birds of the sea, which scarcely spared the long trudging column a glance, crushed his spirit; he wondered again why Eru had made them so small, so puny, so frail.

 

I really felt their plight upon the ice. Their struggle and grief at what and who they had lost.

It was a very powerful and moving account of the Noldor's time upon the Helcaraxe, enough to move me to tears at the end.

 

Thank you for sharing this, hennethgalad.