Our Side of the World by Ulan

| | |

Companion (G)

Erestor is set to sail with Elrond, but Glorfindel must stay with the twins.


The Havens were nearly the same as many there remembered: the salty smell of the Sea, the ever-present call of gulls, the gentle breeze tirelessly blowing. All around them waves crashed against the walls of the humble port, once magnificent and great, now old and fading in the light of the afternoon Sun, like all of the other Elven realms.

In the middle of that busy port, near where the horses stood, Elrond Half-Elven was saying goodbye to his sons, their arms around one another in a tight embrace. A good distance behind them, allowing them their moment out of hearing range, stood their guardians, ever patient in their watch.

"Things with him are always bittersweet," said one - Erestor, Elrond's chief counsellor and oldest friend. "He sails and looks forward to seeing Celebrían, yet he leaves his children here. Not one sails with him."

"You will be with him," said the other - Glorfindel, who stood beside him. "He sails with family still, as you are the closest thing to a brother to him ever since Elros' passing. He considers you thus, I know."

"Or the closest thing to a father, as he so likes to jest," said Erestor in self-deprecating humour. "Aah, but finally he shall also meet your little Eärendil - only not so little now, not in a few millennia. There will be many happy reunions for Elrond. I hope they prove distracting well enough."

As it seemed that their charges would tarry a while, and as all around them people were still saying their farewells - Galadriel and Celeborn locked in an embrace on one side, even the brave Halflings standing in a circle a little further off in the distance - the two advisers turned to the Sea.

It seemed like a long time passed before either of them spoke again. The Sea was calm; its ebb and flow came in time with their breathing. It was good, for quiet moments were never uncomfortable between them, long companions that they were.

Glorfindel was the first to break the silence. "It will be a while."

"Aye," acknowledged Erestor beside him.

"Do you think it will span an age?"

"I hope not. I shall miss you."

And here, Glorfindel smiled. He was grateful for the words, for never had his heart been at peace ever since it was said that Elrond would sail, yet his sons would stay. Erestor ever went where Elrond willed, as he always had, but Glorfindel must stay with the twins, bound as he was to the line of Eärendil.

Even old as they were, with their "infinite wisdom" - as the Halflings often say - it still held true that one could easily take for granted what has always been there, and realise its worth only after it is later taken away. Even for one as old as he, Glorfindel was not without his foolish thoughts, one of which was that Erestor would always be beside him 'til it all ends.

It was never something they blatantly declared, nor was it ever planned. Yet somehow in the ages that passed, they grew accustomed to one another, each the other's constant through the changing times. Though it all began with a shared responsibility and love for their lord, it had not taken long until Glorfindel and Erestor forged their own friendship away from their lords and the courts in which they served.

Whether this grew to something more, Glorfindel could not, for certain, tell. He had always thought it did, and thought that something would happen to prove this in time. Never did he imagine that his story with Erestor would ever include a parting like this, literally now a world apart since the Sundering.

With his heart thus troubled, perhaps he was not fully conscious when he asked: "Erestor, will you wait for me?"

In his peripheral view, he knew Erestor looked at him. But his own mind was filled with troubling thoughts, so much so that he did not even have the faculties to worry about how Erestor could take such words. For some reason, thoughts of Erestor meeting him in the shores of Aman came unbidden. What if Erestor does not come alone? What if another would stand by him, having taken Glorfindel's place, for it was never said between them that one held exclusive claim over the other? A thousand years was a long time to wait.

They never talked about it, but here in Middle-Earth, they knew somehow that they were first in each other's minds, first to be sought after any long partings, be it after Glorfindel had ridden off to battle or after Erestor's longer stays in Lothlórien or the Green Wood. They drew comfort this way, seeking each other out, but despite what the rumours say, it was never anything other than long walks and long conversations, the occasional games of chess, and maybe silly drinking games when they retired together after having shared the company of other residents of the Valley.

If anyone were to ask him, Glorfindel would not be able to adequately explain how it was that evenings spent with nothing but stories, a bottle of wine, and the two of them in Erestor's balcony under the cool moonlight - as they tended to do most nights - could ever rival the company of bards and minstrels in the Hall of Fire, or even nights spent with potential lovers who would only be all too willing if Glorfindel were to seek them.

It was therefore with an unprecedented degree of relief that he smiled when Erestor replied: "I will wait for you, Glorfindel."

His place thus secured, Glorfindel's heart lightened - not fully, but enough. "When I come, may I stay at your place?" he asked with a grin, which Erestor returned with a modest shrug.

"I could build you your own room, if you wish."

And again, a risk, for it seemed Glorfindel kept taking them today: "I hope that won't be necessary."

It was Erestor who smiled then, gentle and kind, and Glorfindel was struck by how long he would be without that smile. The ache in his chest grew until it was pushing up his throat and he thought he would choke.

Too soon, they were calling them, all those who would sail. Erestor turned to look at the ship that would bear him away from Glorfindel, and Glorfindel thought he never saw his friend more beautiful than he was then. Turned away from him and facing the setting Sun, his hair swaying around him in the Sea breeze, he looked suddenly, unjustly lonely. Glorfindel wondered if Erestor's thoughts were similar to his own, counting the many seasons that shall pass without his constant companion by his side.

With a resigned sigh, Erestor smiled up at Glorfindel. He then turned away from him and began his walk toward the ships.

"Erestor, wait!"

Before he realised what he was doing, Glorfindel had taken Erestor's hand, pulling him so he would turn to face him. He then caught that slender figure in his embrace, his free hand coming up to caress one pale cheek, before he was leaning in for that first kiss.

To say that he never thought about kissing Erestor would be a lie. Such thoughts, however, for a long time, he had only considered as indulgent fantasies, fanciful imaginings that bit him on a whim. His mind never lingered on such things, for worse than not being able to kiss Erestor would be the thought of offending him or causing disrespect. Glorfindel never thought to take liberties with Erestor, save now when it seemed as if this chance would be his last for years uncounted.

Yet the moment their lips touched, Glorfindel immediately regretted not being braver sooner. Erestor's arms were around his neck and those lips were the sweetest thing the reborn lord had ever tasted. Beginning soft and tentative, soon centuries of familiarity kicked in, and somehow Glorfindel knew how to deepen their kiss, to close his lips around Erestor's and taste him on his tongue over and over in a way he knew the other would enjoy. He held the sides of that face tenderly, fingers brushing neck and hair, tilting it so he could kiss him more, inscribe it all in his memory, for there shall not be another one of this in who knew how many centuries.

When they parted, both were out of breath. But they did not stray far, so that after only catching a glimpse of that dazed look in Erestor's eyes, that adorable blush, Glorfindel could so easily steal a kiss - which he did. "In case..." he said when their lips parted again, still out of breath. "In case I did not make it clear enough."

Erestor laughed, his breath warm and tingling against Glorfindel's lips. "Unnecessary," he said with a wide smile, "but not unwanted."

Glorfindel would have been content to stand there with him until Eru himself stood before them declaring the end of Arda, but alas, it was only the ships again - the captain's shrill whistle - that broke the moment and caused Erestor to step away again.

Valar, how could he go? Glorfindel watched, suddenly cold without that soothing presence in his arms, as Erestor left him. He had to rein himself to keep from calling him back again. Yet he knew what duties meant, and Erestor cannot stay any more than Glorfindel could go. Such was their way, and it appeared that not even earth-shattering kisses nor a soldier's broken heart could ever change that.

All too soon, they were lifting the ramps, pulling in the wood planks that connected the ships to the port. Glorfindel stood there, unmoving. His heart was in that ship; they were raising its anchors, and it was about to leave.

"Come, my friend," said a voice behind him as a hand settled on his shoulder. Glorfindel turned; it was Elladan. "It does not make it easier watching them leave."

And they really did leave, thought Glorfindel, the realisation now sinking in. The ship was leaving and Erestor would no longer come home to Imladris. He had said his goodbyes to the valley, with Glorfindel even by his side when he did, and just now, he had said his goodbyes to Glorfindel.

He had not realised he was crying until they heard a commotion from one of the ships and Glorfindel turned to look, only to find his vision blurred. He therefore recognised them a little later than everyone else, but sure enough there was Elrond and Erestor in a... well, scuffle was the only word for it, really.

"It is Valinor! What do you expect would happen to me there?"

It was Elrond certainly enough, and he was pulling a shocked-looking Erestor behind him by the wrist. Somehow, the Half-Elven lord had the ramp brought down again on the port, and they were crossing it back to stone grounds.

"Glorfindel!" yelled his former lord, loudly above the gulls and the waves and the blood rushing through Glorfindel's ears. "Take him! I don't need him anymore!"

He then pushed Erestor none too gently into Glorfindel's chest and waiting arms. For someone so poised and well-respected back in Imladris, Elrond now ran back to the ship as though he no longer cared about decorum. Well, it was no secret that their lord looked forward to seeing his wife again, but this certainly proved it. Faster than they could all realise what had happened, the ship began to sail once more, as though it had not just ejected one of its passengers.

Erestor's eyes were wide still in disbelief as he watched his ship sail without him. "That ungrateful brat!"

Glorfindel laughed, and maybe also cried a little. He was also not so sure if he just imagined Bilbo laughing somewhere in that ship, or whether Círdan truly hid a smile as he stood at the edge of the port, calling the winds back into those sails.

But none of it mattered, not to Glorfindel, because Erestor was in his arms, and the new age suddenly seemed brighter.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment