Our Home Among the Stars by Nienna

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I imagine this being sung by someone who was not personally among those who made the Great Journey, but one born soon after, well before the darkening, who is now passing on the story to a child of the next generation. It feels sort of...simplistic in its depiction of the Journey, which I think fits with the idea of it being sung to children. Our/we pronouns are used instead of they/them, because while the Elda singing wasn't personally at Cuiviénen, it is a story with which the singer's people would identify as their own.

Constructive criticism and/or comments of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A poem/song about the stars, and the Great Journey.

Terza Rima.

For B2MEM 2018 using the prompt,"By the starlit mere of Cuiviénen, Water of Awakening, they rose from the sleep of Ilúvatar; and while they dwelt yet silent by Cuiviénen their eyes beheld first of all things the stars of heaven." (The Silmarillion, "Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor, Tolkien.)

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Poetry

Challenges: B2MeM 2018

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 360
Posted on 29 March 2018 Updated on 29 March 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm so glad you liked it, Gabriel! I don't think of the singer as being Maglor, but it certainly could be, how you interpret it is of course up to you. That's actually a very sweet idea, I can just picture it:) And yes, I think it is childlike, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Thank you for commenting!