Rings by eris_of_imladris

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Based on my received quote from SWG (“One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done.” – Marie Curie) as well as the Textual Ghosts Project (http://elleth.x10host.com/textualghosts.htm). Written for Legendarium Ladies April 2018.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A look into the dreams and ambitions of Curufin’s wife.

Major Characters: Curufin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Rise Above

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 815
Posted on 28 April 2018 Updated on 28 April 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I liked very much your view of Curufin's wife who is stronger, more skilled, more determined than he is and who doesn't need to hide but dwells in the discomfort to continue to live. And  that includes living through the tragedy of  her son!

Great use of rings and chains as metaphors for the Feanorians.

 

 

No, she would exist openly, live in the complications and the contradictions, find a new answer for each remark and stare, dwell in the discomfort to continue to live.

I like the concept that she has the courage to face her losses and her grief.

Interesting insights on an unnamed character.

Since we don't know anything about Curufin's wife, we so often assume that she must have been not particularly interesting, and you're challenging that view very nicely! The symbolism of the ring versus the necklace was great (and painful, especially the bit about Celebrimbor's downfall!). Love the interpretation that she went on creating after Curufin's departure, refusing to hide or be ashamed of her marriage (or its breaking). She still lived, and there was work to do: What a satisfying conclusion!

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked my ideas. Sometimes I hesitate to write stuff that isn't 100% pure canon, but since she's unnamed, I feel like I have more freedom, and I like the idea of a strong woman who can carry on after Curufin's departure. And she definitely feels pain from Celebrimbor especially, but I think she'd be too stubborn to show it - in other words, she's one of the family in that way :)