Falling Stars by Tyelca

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For we have to remember that a falling star is not a star but a meteor, a mass of rock and ice burning as it rapidly descends through the atmosphere before crashing on the surface, leaving nothing but destruction in its wake.

Very late ficlets for Fëanorian Week, which ran from 12/03/2018 to 25/03/2018. Each fic is based on prompts set for each member from that House. Some will be long and some are short.

I had the bright idea to write about the death of each character, so these will not be happy stories, and some of them do contain blood and violence and other unpleasantness. That's why I've also tagged it as horror.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For we have to remember that a falling star is nothing but a meteor, a burning mass of rock and ice that rapidly descends through the atmosphere before crashing on the surface, leaving nothing but destruction in its wake.

Seven stories for Fëanorian Week.

Major Characters: Celegorm, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Horror

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Suicide, Character Death

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 5, 437
Posted on 31 May 2018 Updated on 9 June 2018

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Maedhros burns in the fire. This is were the Suicide warning comes into play; it is canonical, but still.

The prompts for Maedhros were Childhood, Kingship, Torture,  Adjusting/Coping, Unity, Beauty.

Maglor visits Himling, and on the way back is accosted by a powerful storm.

The prompts for Maglor were Childhood, Music & Songs of Power, Elrond & Elros, Kingship, Maglor’s Gap, Redemption.

In the Halls of the Dead, Celegorm watches Lúthien and her descendants.

The prompts for Celegorm were Childhood, Hunting, Orome & Huan, Strength & Beauty, Wickedness, Love/Unrequited.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


There was so much hope in this story for Maglor. I found myself cheering him on and then the sudden shock that he wasn't going to make it, staring me in the face. Yet he took it as if he had been preparing himself for ages for just such an event. Almost as if he wanted to go-staring at that button that reminded him of his father and a past life dead and gone, as he succumbs to his watery grave.

I must say I enjoyed this It was so well written.

Thank you! When Maedhros set out to ambush Morgoth, he had only ever seen him in Valinor, and we all know that Morgoth was on his best behaviour there. And at that point Maedhros knows about death and slaughter, but not yet about the astounding cruely Morgoth is capable of. But that would soon change...

This feels very true to Celegorm - the restlessness, the hunger for life. Even the callousness and selfishness match Tolkien's portrait of him in Nargothrond and Doriath. I like his reflections at the end; it's fascinating how Luthien's legacy and Feanorian heritage mingle together in Elrond and Elros.

You create some interesting details - the "looping halls" (hard to tell where you are!), the tapestries out of order with time. It gives Mandos an intriguing tinge of otherworldliness.

Thank you! I have some very specific headcanons for Celegorm, and I just threw them together in this little fic. Add a healthy dose of Mandos-magics and general otherworldliness, and here you are. ;)

I've always been interested in the childhood of Elrond and Elros and the consequences of being raised by the House of Fëanor. We all know about Elrond at the end of the Third Age, but I can't imagine everyone just accepted them, when he still rode with Kinslayers.