For the First Time in Forever by quillingmesoftly

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story was started with one thought in mind. What if you took the crack theory that Tom Bombadil is actually Maglor, and treated it dead seriously? This ended up being the result. I hope you enjoy.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

S.A. 583. The one where Maglor dares to hope again, and the river-daughter leaves her nest. Featuring: Ossë, Uinen, the Baranduin, the Men of the Minhiriath, and Eriador Avari.

Or, Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, before they became Tom Bombadil and Goldberry.

Major Characters: Goldberry, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Expletive Language

Chapters: 21 Word Count: 80, 358
Posted on 11 November 2018 Updated on 3 February 2019

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

An unexpected meeting.

In which we learn a little more about the state of the world and Goldberry, and Maglor is not even a little bit charmed. Really. 

Maglor returns to the beach, along with Goldberry.

Neniel is comforted, and Maglor is challenged.

In which Maglor is introduced to Goldberry's parents.

Neniel plays matchmaker, and Maglor is along for the ride.

Maglor tells the story. It's a little different from the Noldolantë.

Neniel's thoughts in the wake of Maglor's revelations.

In which things do not go back to normal, a hurting Neniel hurts Maglor, and Ossë continues to be surprisingly wise.

We have a change of scene, and our heroine reveals some unexpected talents.

Neniel makes a decision, and Maglor goes into denial. 

In which Maglor panics and Neniel teaches about forestry.

Long conversations, little movement, and Maglor and Neniel have a good day. 

That's it. That's the chapter.

In which I indulge in world building, Neniel gets a reunion, and Maglor is puzzled.

So. Much. Kindi. Stuff. Or, the one where Maglor fries spiders, is grilled on events since Cuiviénen, and discovers something interesting about his host. 

 


 

In which Maglor is supportive, and Neniel has a crisis of confidence, confides a secret, and finds a way. 

In which Neniel is depressed, Maglor frets, gifts are exchanged, and the Kindi celebrate the winter solstice. Warnings for a second-hand account of seasonal depression and profanity.

In which Maglor survives a long-overdue conversation and Neniel tallies supplies.

 

Exactly what it says on the tin.

In which Neniel meets Ereinion Gil-galad and goes into culture shock. Meanwhile, Maglor is definitely not moping.

 

In which Elrond gets a hug, Maglor is teased, and we get a glimpse of the Kindi in Mithlond.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Much more of this to come! It's mostly taken a while to get my account organised and to figure out the formatting on this site, and how it's distinct from ao3. And yeah, the Maglor-is-Tom-Bombadil theory is just too cracky and potentially funny for me to pass up. It's awesome.

Writing Goldberry is always fun, too, because I get to try and figure out where the rivery parts of her end and where the elvenness of her begins, since I'm writing her as a half-Elf. I'm glad you like her so far! Writing characters who are supposed to be charming or charismatic always feels like a gamble to me.