Calmer Waters by Raiyana

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My quote was "Therefore those who dwell by the sea or go up in ships may love [Ossë], but they do not trust him." ~ Valaquenta

combined with the 'Cape' prompt off the 'Of the Sea' card from the b2mem bingo

Follows the 'From Sleep to Swift Fury' vignette.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Aulë claimed Uinen was the only one with the power to reclaim Ossë... and that's what she did, calming his fury with her love - or so the Children say.

 

Major Characters: Ossë, Uinen

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: B2MeM 2019, Love Actually

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 511
Posted on 6 March 2019 Updated on 6 March 2019

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm so glad you continued From Sleep to Swift Fury! I love how Uinen's hair remains as a token on Ossë's wrist as he slowly accepts her efforts. Glad he gets to enjoy the Children for what they are, rather than just for something he can terrify.

Some days just screamed for storms and violent waves - Some days are like that! Maybe that's why the Children are a bit wary of Ossë, because they ultimately know that he's just as changeful as they can be... XD

I think Uinen the Oblivious and Ossë the self-torturing are among my favourite pairings :D Theirs is a journey of learning - and not only about the world and the Children...

Ossë could never be tamed, not truly, and it'd feel wrong to make him too docile... waves are not docile for any long stretch of time, after all. Uinen is deeper waters, but she, too, delights in roiling currents and violently crashing water - it is a game, to them, even if she is a little better at realising the Children are there(or caring, perhaps, at first). I feel that the first interactions between any Ainu and any Child would be excessive or extreme on the part of the Ainu in the mind of the Child, simply becase their experiences of the world around them are so vastly different. I try to celebrate that sense of difference and disparity when I write Ainu. They're not purposefully malicious, but they can 'forget' that the Children really are very very small in comparison to their own whole beings.