Through a Mirror Darkly by HannaGoldworthy

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Sovalle has coagulated in my cradle-Catholic brain as rather more like Lent than Shrovetide, but I included a few Shrovetide customs, including something like an elven Mardi Gras.

I'm going to try and kick the new year off right by filling all the challenge prompts that I missed with one story.  More detailed descriptions of the prompts I use will be included with each chapter note.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Year 2510 of the Third Age: Celebrian arrives in Valinor during Sovalle, a new (for her) feast of repentance and reconciliation.  And, much to her suprise and discomfort, she's not the only new face hanging around...

Major Characters: Amrod, Celebrían, Lindo, Mandos, Original Female Character(s), Vairë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Fluff, General, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges: Caprice and Chance, Hidden Figures, New Year's Resolution, Season's Greetings, Sirens and Songstresses, Solve a Problem, Start to Finish

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 14, 246
Posted on 1 January 2020 Updated on 10 April 2020

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

This chapter begins with the quote from Helen Oyeyemi's Boy, Snow, Bird.  If you squint you can see the first two prompts of the seven-prompt Caprice and Chance; the "love" I chose to feature is Philia.

This chapter uses the lion's share of the Caprice and Chance prompts.  There is no actual bodice-ripping, but some potential noncon is discussed discreetly toward the end of the chapter, so be warned.

And I suppose you could lump this into the Solve a Problem challenge as well, since Amrod did in fact burn with the boats in this story and the name game with him and Amras is also brought up.  However, trying to solve either problem only adds more problems - Amrod's burning (and subsequent early resurrection) is part of the premise of this fic, and the name-game thing is taken from my own experiences with names and siblings (and therefore never satisfactorily resolved for anyone involved).

There's an awkward moment (or three) to fit prompt five of Caprice and Chance.  Aside from that, it's setup for other prompts.  And family bonding.  I love these three.

This chapter begins to incorporate Lindo and Vaire from Unfinished Tales, for Hidden Figures.  Since they are non-canon, I've tried to play with them a little bit to make them fit in with canon a bit more.

And, yet another OC, though she's tangential to this plot.  Sarenda has existed in my mind before I got Tina Turner's "We Don't Need Another Hero" as a prompt for Singers and Songstresses, but that song works fairly well as a leitmotif for her nonetheless.  "We are the children, The last generation, We are the ones they left behind..."

This chapter begins the real attempt I'll make for Solve a Problem - can orcs be redeemed?  For that matter, can the children of orcs be redeemed?

There is an oblique discussion of (barely) off-screen noncon in this chapter, as a brief forewarning.

This hits prompt six of Caprice and Chance, and Celebrian is certainly experiencing the return of a problem from the past.  She's not the only one, though.

There's some imagery toward the beginning that might be a little disturbing...no gore, not really, but it's rather like a jump scare.  Some reference to long-past noncon toward the end.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.