The Power of an Oath by AndyC

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor reflects on the Oath of Feanor.  Elros learns of the power of Fate over the Eldar and the freedom of Men.

Major Characters: Elros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 159
Posted on 18 April 2020 Updated on 18 April 2020

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


That's a really useful analogy for the Oath!

Maglor's and Elros' interaction here is heartbreaking, and there are lots of interesting observations going on in the background - "not-father", Curufin's theories, Maglor's fear that the twins will grow old and die and leave him behind, Elros observing that Elrond is trying to deny his mortal nature... a taste of things to come.

Thanks, Lyra!

I keep having ideas for ways to clarify my thoughts on aspects of the legendarium (the Silmarils, the Oath, other things (tbc...) ) and they all seem to end up as conversations with Maglor.  There's just so much that happened in those final years of the First Age that crystallised such things into place.  In fact, your Embalmer's Apprentice series jolted a thought or two on a possible Second Age conversation that got me writing yesterday on a significantly longer piece that also turned into a conversation with Maglor.  I'll upload it in a day or so after I've given it a couple of days to simmer and be polished.

I was delighted to see EMbalmer's Apprentice has been updated.  I've refused to let myself read the latest update until I wrote something myself - I can go and read it today as a reward :)