The Silmarillion TV Series by AndyC

| | |

Season 1, Episode 1, Part 3


PART THREE

 SCENE FIVE

EXT. CUIVENEN

Long silence.

Ingar:

You want to – protect us?

Finn:

And teach us?

Orome (still without moving his lips):

Yes!

El:

I’ll be honest, that’s not at all what we were expecting you to say. Could you wait a moment?

Orome (looks as nonplussed as an archangelic figure can):

-

[The three of them huddle]

Ingar:

Thoughts?

El:

It’s not as though we’ve got many choices, is it?

Finn (musing):

I don’t know. There’s only one of him, no matter how large he is. We’ve got a group with a whole bunch of the spear things and that throwing-tiny-spears device we were coming up with…

Ingar:

…isn’t ready or anywhere close to ready. And, if I recall correctly, your group with spears is only just becoming ready as well.

Finn:

True. If he’d just come a little later…

El (half under his breath):

Should we ask him to go away and come back in a bit, then?

[Finn gives him a Look]

Sorry.

Anyway, we may as well take him at his word. He’s not grabbing anyone while he’s talking, and he might be telling the truth.

Ingar:

It’s hard to see what benefit it would be for him to lie like this. As El says, it’s not as though we can do much to stop him right now.

[They break the huddle and turn to Orome]

 Welcome to Cuivenen – ah, ‘Oromë’, wasn’t it?

[Oromë nods, gravely]

Um. What did you want to do?

EXT. CUIVENEN, INLAND, NEAR THE MOST OF THE HUTS

 Finn:

So, we worked out how to build places like these – that could do the job and look nice as well.

El:

By “we”, he means his Clan, here.

Orome:

You’ve mentioned Clans a few times. Could you tell me more?

[They glance at each other. Ingar shrugs]

Ingar:

It’s quite simple. When the Unbegotten awoke – the Elves who weren’t born but simply woke up here as adults – they congregated into three groups. The First Group – the Minyar; the Second Group – the Tatyar; and the Third Group – the Nelyar.

Orome:

I understand. Those names you give mean ‘First’, ‘Second’ and ‘Third’. But how did they know to which Clan they belonged.

El (mischievously):

Well, the firstborn Elf chose companions when they walked…

[Ingar glares at him]

Ahem. Sorry, Ingar.

 [At Orome’s raised eyebrow]

Private joke.

Finn:

I’ll tell it. Apparently, to hear the Unbegotten, they felt a greater kinship for some other Elves. As if they were part of the same family. It turns out that each of the Clans has a certain mindset.

Ingar (smiling):

And headset, too, as a rule of thumb.

[explaining, at Orome’s inquiring glance]

I mean that Minyar are almost all golden-haired, while that’s very rare among the other Clans. Tatyar tend to have black hair, like Finn, here. Nelyar are a bit more mixed – usually either silver hair or brown hair.

Orome (gesturing at Miri):

So she would be of the Nelyar, then?

Finn:

Actually, you’ve picked one of those exceptions. Miri is one of mine.

 [He doesn’t see Miri’s blush]

But otherwise, yes, Ingar’s right. It’s why we call his Clan ‘Vanyar’

Ingar (muttering):

I’m still not that fond of that name, but never mind.

Orome:

That is ‘Golden’, is it not?

Ingar:

Exactly. Of all the traits to name us after, our hair colour is a bit – well – unimaginative? The Third Clan, for example, we call ‘Lindar’.

Oromë:

Singers.

El (nods):

We’re fond of singing, to be fair. It’s probably our most distinguishing single feature. We’re told many of the Unbegotten Nelyar sang before they talked.

Oromë (turns to Finn):

And what is the characteristic of your Clan?

Finn (glares at the others to cut them off):

They call us ‘Noldor’ – meaning ‘Wise’. In the sense of craft and skill, mainly.

El (as an aside):

Because common sense has never really been demonstrably in high levels of supply amongst them.

[Orome laughs]

Finn (shrugs):

It’s fair. But take any Tatyar Elf and you’ll find someone who’s trying to build, invent, enhance, craft, or do something physically artistic. That’s why we did the first buildings. How Mahtan found out how to get that substance out of rock that you heat and melt and polish up and looks the same colour as those flecks in his hair. And we came up with methods of weaving clothes, and creating spears to defend ourselves.

El:

And that catapult thing to get up the low cliffs quickly. Shortly followed by inventing the splint and the bandage, as I recall.

Finn (looks faintly embarrassed):

Not all our discoveries and crafts have been complete successes, I’ll admit…

Ingar (mildly):

Which isn’t to say the rest of us don’t invent things. Musical instruments, for example.

Finn (musing):

Actually, we might be able to repurpose that catapult in some way to protect against the Dark Hunter. You know – it could throw something at…

Oromë:

Wait. ‘Dark Hunter’?

Finn:

Yes. The Dark – didn’t you know about him? I thought that was what you meant when you said ‘protect’ us. He’s a mysterious figure who comes at times and seizes unwary Elves. We had thought he was just a legend, but we’ve determined he’s real.

Ingar and El look uncertainly at Oromë

Oromë (heavily):

I feared something like this when I met you. It is of Melkor, no doubt. One of his servants. Maybe even the fallen Mairon.

Ingar:

Ah – ‘Melkor’?

Orome:

I have to tell you more.

CUT TO FURTHER DISTANCE. MIRI IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A SMALL GROUP OF FEMALE AND MALE ELVES.

Miri:

Here it is

[She hands over a tunic with an emblem of stars and flames on it. The rest of them marvel]

 Vanya Elf:

What gave you the idea? Or is it worth even asking a Noldo that? [snorts]

Miri:

Oh, like all worthy discoveries, it came through pain and blood.

Vanya Elf:

[laughs out loud – he thinks she’s joking]

Regardless, I think this embroidery thing is marvellous. Bringing beauty to functionality.

CUT BACK TO OROMË AND THE THREE LEADERS

Oromë:

I and my kin are all of the Ainur – the spirits both greater and lesser that sprang from the thought of The One who was before and above all others.

[the Three Elves look at each other]

Oromë:

We came together to fashion a Great Song under the One – and this song turned the One’s thoughts into reality, with the help of the Sacred Fire. It created the World.

El (gives a short laugh):

So, the World came about because of song?

[He gives Finn a mischievous poke]

Ingar:

And it turned ‘thought’ into ‘reality’.

[He also grins at Finn]

Oromë:

The Song, though, was marred by the rebellion of Melkor, the greatest of us under the One. He imposed his own Theme upon it, and led others into rebellion. He marred the work and thus marred the World.

[He looks grave. The others are quiet]

Some of us came down into the World to help build and guide it – for despite the vision of the Song, when we got here, it was dark and unformed. We had to build the substance of the Earth to the vision, and Melkor ever tried to hinder our efforts, for he had also come and tried to claim the World as his own.

Finn (muttering to the others while trying to be respectful):

So, for all of the thinking and singing, they still needed to build it.

[Orome pauses and the others glare at Finn, who looks abashed]

Indeed, young Finn. All of you have skills and preferences that reflect what was needed.

[he sighs]

Of those of us who came to Arda, fifteen were the greatest and, of these, fourteen of us are the Powers of Arda, the Valar. The countless lesser spirits are the Maiar – and some… many, even… follow our fallen brother Melkor.

Ingar:

I’m guessing Melkor is the fifteenth.

[Oromë nods]

So, the Dark Hunter is one of this Melkor’s many dark spirit servants.

Finn (puzzled):

If they’re spirits, how come they can physically take us… oh, wait… you’re a spirit and have a physical body…

Oromë:

Yes. We can put on physical forms like you can put on a tunic. Our normal forms usually reflect our spirits themselves.

[He pauses]

Melkor waged war against us for many Ages, until one latecoming Vala, Tulkas the Warrior, helped us drive him back and he fled into the darkness. We fashioned the world, then, and the Lamps to light it brightly.

El:

Ah - I don’t mean to criticise, but these Lamps of yours are either not that bright at all, or very, very far away.

Oromë (looking sad):

Unfortunately, when we had finished our work and celebrated, Melkor attacked and destroyed the Pillars holding the Lamps and caused their destruction and massive damage to the World itself – aided by treachery from within. Key to that was the most powerful servant of the Vala Aulë the Smith – Mairon the Admirable.

Finn:

I’m guessing this 'Mairon' lost that title after that…

Oromë:

And I suspect that the former Mairon – the most powerful, subtle, and cunning of all Melkor’s servants – is behind the depredations of this Dark Hunter. Or he is the Dark Hunter himself.

Finn:

 Oh.

Oromë:

Since then, we removed to the lands in the furthest West, beyond the great Sea, and fortified the land of Valinor. The Two Trees were grown to provide blessed light to Valinor and we dwelt there, preparing for the time of your arrival. We could not take the fight to Melkor, as the devastation and upheaval that would smash parts of the world could have destroyed the lands where you were destined to come.

El (swallowing):

Probably for the best, I guess.

Oromë:

Our leader, Manwë the Blessed, the Lord of the Airs and Elder King under The One, will need to know of you. He dwells with Varda, Lady of Light, who fashioned the stars.

[He gestures upwards at the stars]

Ingar:

Wait – you – she – made the very stars themselves?

[The others look suitably impressed as they stare upwards]

[There’s a long pause as Oromë stops talking]

Ingar:

So - now what happens?

 

--

SCENE SIX

EXT – THE WESTERN OCEAN, NEAR VALINOR

The camera swoops over the dark ocean waves and rises up. The horizon comes into view – mountainous, but with light spilling over it. Gold and silver, flowing over like water. The white horse is racing over the waves, carrying Oromë

Oromë comes up over the strand and over streams and grasslands, through a deep pass between steep mountain walls. Past a hill in the centre of the pass, thundering through and into Valinor proper.

Behind him looms the immeasurable bulk of Taniquetil, tallest peak in the world (but so steep it’s not hugely wide). Before him is the city of Valmar: marble traceries and walls with arches throughout, domes of gold, bronze, and silver, beautiful stone, pearl, and wood buildings, wide boulevards – but they’re just the background. He circles the city without pausing, racing towards a wide, grassy mound. This mound draws the attention – or, at least, the Two Trees on them.

They are huge – hundreds of feet tall – but graceful and proportionate enough not to seem so big until you’re near them Laurelin (Shaped like a beech tree, with green leaves edged with gold, flowers like clusters of golden flame, which form glowing horns, spilling rains of gold dripping to the ground) and Telperion (Looks a bit like a cherry-tree, leaves of dark green, shining silver beneath; boughs decked with brilliant shining white blossoms that shed a rain of silver dew).  SFX department has to work to get these right – they’re the focus of much of the story.

In addition, colours are enhanced a notch or two, contrast stronger, brightness does NOT make everything washed out.  SFX must make this feel more “real” than reality itself.

Oromë (dismounts and blows his horn again. As the echoes die away, he roars):

Valar and Valier, Maiar and all spirits – the Children are here! , Ai, the Children are here!

 

EXT: THE MAHANAXAR, THE RING OF DOOM

Near the Ezellohar – the wide mound on which stands the Two Trees- and close to the western gates of Valmar, is a circle of fourteen stone thrones

The Valar do not move their mouths when they are conferring. The camera focus on the particular individual and the voice is all that tells us who is “speaking”

Aule (Big, solid, bearded):

The Children are finally here.

Yavanna (Willowy, mature) (gives him a meaningful glance):

All we needed was patience.

[Aule winces]

Ulmo (Tall, broad, looks a bit older than the others):

Melkor. He is out there.

Orome:

Moreover, I have learned that he has found them.

Varda (Beautiful and ethereal):

He has found them?

Orome:

Aye. He has sent a Dark Rider and taken some of them.

Nienna (Dark haired, sad looking):

For what reason!? What has he done to them?

Orome:

We can only imagine. I do not believe it would be good.

Tulkas (Think Chris Hemsworth as Thor):

Then shall we not finally war on him? We withheld our might before for fear of destroying wherever it was to be that the Children would awaken. Now we know.

Aule:

As well as doubt over whether we could overmatch him. We defeated him the first time thanks to surprise – your own arrival from the Timeless Halls at the right time caused him consternation and fear and he withdrew and hid until his ambush on the Lamps.

Tulkas (scowling):

We would still have defeated him had he stood and fought.

Orome:

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Not even Mandos knows what would have been.

Mandos (Austere, possibly bald.  Mark Strong?):

[The camera lingers on his face, as the others turn to him. He remains impassive and says nothing]

Orome (continuing):

And when the Lamps fell and all was tumult, we ourselves withdrew to this land. By the time we collected ourselves and fortified the land, he had vanished to his northern lairs.

Tulkas:

Does that not signify his own awareness that we would defeat him?

Nienna:

My brother knows fear – moreso than any of us. It is kin to his great hatred. He may fear and his fear be unfounded. Indeed, it is likely that his wariness is greater than merited 

Manwe:

He had the greatest share of gifts and powers of all of us in the beginning. His gaze, that can daunt anyone, is a dreadful power of itself. We can only withstand him together – and that only maybe.

Tulkas (exasperated):

Then what shall we do?

Manwe:

I will meditate.

 

EXT. THE PEAK OF TANIQUETIL.

A high snow-field, a peak behind it piercing the heavens. Camera flying up the steep peak with a flat top at the very very top; a mansion on it – white and blue marble, with a roof of apparently solid blue air, transparent. The view from here is wide across the Ocean in one direction and all of Valinor in the other.

Manwe is there, alone. His eyes are closed and his head is back. The camera holds on him for a long count of twenty. At last, his lips move and he murmurs the word, “Father”

EXT. THE RING OF DOOM.

The Valar are still sat in Conclave. Manwe walks across the grass and seats himself.

Valar:

[All look at him, expectantly. No-one speaks; they’re all waiting for his decision]

Manwe:

There is no certainty in any action. We may fight Melkor and we may be defeated. Nevertheless, to essay something that is right but beyond our strength is not a fault; not to try is the greater wrong. This is the counsel of Iluvatar in my heart: we will take up again the mastery of Arda, at whatever the cost. We will deliver the Children from the shadows of Melkor.

[Pauses]

Orome. You will set a guard around the Children to protect them from Melkor’s minions. I doubt he himself will leave his secure dwellings to torment them in person; he will have his victims brought to him.

Aule, you shall craft a chain capable of binding even Melkor. This must be done, and must be possible.

I will assemble the Host of the Valar. We will ready ourselves as swiftly as we may and we will pass over the north of Aman and Middle-Earth and wage war on our renegade brother – for the sake of the Elves.

 

EXT – PLAIN IN FRONT OF VALMAR

The Host of the Valar is starting to draw up. Orome gallops off on Nahar, other Maiar following him. This is a very small fraction of the overall Host. We see Eonwe (un-named) holding the Standard of Manwe.

 

END OF PART THREE

 


Chapter End Notes

This part of Episode 1 contains the bulk of the exposition covering the Ainulindale, Valaquenta, and all of the time preceding the Awakening of the Elves.  There's a danger it's too exposition-heavy, but I've tried to make it not too boring.

It also contains my personal head-canon that the story in Quendi and Eldar about Imin, Tata, and Enel was simply a childrens' story intended to teach the proportions of the thre Clans and the need to avoid greed, rather than being sober history.  Pure headcanon, of course, but it feels somewhat "realer" to me this way around.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment