Shining Black by SkyEventide

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This fic was written for Innumerable Stars 2020 for alkarinque. I had a blast writing it.

The main ship is Curufin/Eol, familial and gen relationships in the form of Curufin&Celegorm and Curufin&Telchar are also featured, as well as mentions of other characters and brief meetings.

Fic includes explorations of: dwarves and their dwelling, magic in the First Age, trade, mild deconstruction of LaCE, snark, hatesex, grief.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The forest of Nan Elmoth is warded by magic and, apparently, inhabited. Celegorm and Curufin head into the woods, discovering who exactly lives in it. A "dark elf", who is a blacksmith. And is friends of the dwarves, and speaks Khuzdul. Curufin camps outside of the forest, to check that trade with the dwarves isn't disrupted by the encounter -- and to see if perhaps he could learn more about the enchantments that protect this land, and about its dweller.

Major Characters: Celegorm, Curufin, Eöl, Telchar

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Sexual Content (Graphic)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 7, 851
Posted on 4 November 2020 Updated on 4 November 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Before I leave you to the story, I'll make a few language notes. Wouldn't be a Tolkien fic without, right?

1• I use Curufinwë to refer to Curufin throughout, because he thinks in Quenya, but most call him Lord Curufin in speech, as they are usually speaking Sindarin (or Khuzdul). Occasionally he signs himself as Curvo, his familial nickname.
2• I refer to Celegorm as Turco a couple of times, as a familial nickname, otherwise as Tyelkormo. All Quenya names use the c spelling except for Tyelkormo, just cuz I think Tyelcormo looks a little ugly. I refer to Caranthir as Carnistir or Moryo, and to Finrod as Findaráto. Likewise, Pityafinwë is the older Ambarussa twin and Telvo is the younger twin.
3• It being Curufin's POV means the Shibboleth is in place when he speaks or thinks in Quenya. That turns "Sindar/in" into "Thindar/in" and "Singollo" into "Thingollo" (that'd be Thingol, in Quenya).
4• Tumunzahar/Návarot is Nogrod, the dwarven city.
5• I spent way too long tryna decide whether to spell Celebrimbor's Quenya name as Tyelperinquar or Telperinquar, then opted for the latter for reasons I won't get into here cuz too long, but like, I thought about it a lot.
6• In one instance I mention the Belain: these are the Valar, in Sindarin. In similar venue, Moringotho is Morgoth, in Quenya.
7• Curufin mentions daddy as Faenor instead of Fëanor. Faenor is the "right" version of Fëanor's Sindarin name, while the name we normally and most often use is an in-universe copyist/loremasters mistake. I decided to stay true to how Curufin would very likely call him instead, so Faenor it was.
8• Thou/thee is an informal pronoun generally used for close family or for people of inferior rank; the momentary switch to this form in the text is reeeal deliberate lol.
9• Naming dwarves was a struggle, but I picked Neo Khuzdul words and rules in one instance (idk I hope I didn't butcher the construct) and Norse names in other two, following Tolkien's back and forth choices on the matter.

And that's it! I hope it heps with clarifying any potential name confusions or perplexities for anyone not well-versed with various languages.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.