The Last Work Of Her Hands by Gadira

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Could an Elf live without a fëa? Part II of the Broideress arc.

Major Characters: Fëanor, Finwë, Míriel Serindë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 698
Posted on 6 June 2007 Updated on 6 June 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Disclaimer: The characters belong to Tolkien. The fëa, hröa and the concept of foresight do, too.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


A beautiful continuation. This might be the most original characterization of Miriel that I've yet seen, and it's fascinating to consider how her unwittingly cruel treatment of Feanaro shapes the person that he will later become.

The moment when Finwe awakens and discovers the bed scattered with clothing works really well. Even though I've seen (and used myself) the idea of Miriel "planning" for her death by making clothes for her son through adulthood, this might be the most stunning example I've seen yet of this idea, and the wedding gown and essecarme robes indicate that she knows far more about her son's future than his father. It really adds weight to the moment in The Silmarillion when Miriel asks Finwe to hold her blameless in what comes after. I've often wondered exactly what Tolkien meant by this. The popular intepretation, when I started writing Silmfic, seemed to be "hold me blameless in my death." I've always interpretted it as meaning "hold me blameless in the deeds of my son that will largely be caused by my death" ... or caused by the larger-than-usual spiritual allotment that she has given him. This comes back to the ideas of fire that you present in Part I: something that nurtures and provides beauty and sustenance but, after a point, is equally terrible in its destruction.

Anyhoo, I am rambling. I'm really enjoying your stories and the unique angles and interpretations that you've taken. It's tempting to keep reading now, but alas, it's lunchtime. ;) But I eagerly await the final stories.

All the best,
Dawn

Hi back! Since I began reading Tolkien, Míriel´s description in the Shibboleth and the affirmation that she poured her spirit into Fëanor made me see her as a female Fëanor, or something like that. They have too many things in common, plus the idea that she poured her spirit into him.

And your interpretation of her words would make sense in the light of my story, too. My Míriel is larger than life: she does too much, and sees too much. :)

 

This is really intense and strikes home. A striking and meaningful way to combine both versions of Miriel's death, both that she died quickly after Feanor's birth and that she lingered.

Also, your story was recommended by AmyFortuna in this rec post: http://b2mem.livejournal.com/436445.html

There is praise for your story in the comments on the rec post as well.

 

[Sorry for the now deleted earlier comment--I see now that you have in fact adopted your story on AO3 already. I was just confused about that because the earlier HASA note is still in place.]