Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


A disturbing view of Nerdanel and the "competition" for ownership that she and Feanor must have had over their sons, especially after the oath.  Feanor's line is so prophetic:  "Perhaps the house of Finwe should not breed. Ill things come from the labour of love.

Thank you for the feedback. I can't even remember what I was thinking when I wrote this story, it was before my own children (and before I got post-natal depression, go figure) and still I seem to somehow have got things right.

 

lol and i have a weakness for throwing in prophetic lines in my writing I admit.

It's not always easy being a mother, is it?  You've captured the stress that can go with having a one month old baby without much varnish, but the hint that maybe things are not always this way as well. 

I think lots of people want to remember the counting the toes part, not the "it won't stop *screaming*!" part.  A friend of mine recently had a child, and commented to me that, if there were no future toddler/child/person to look forward to, most new parents would be tempted to toss the infant off a cliff. 

This story screams for a happy bookend, of a more pleasant moment in this young family, but I do like that it is unapologetic for what it is, here.   

 

Thank you for the lovely review. I wrote this a good while before my own children were born and am rather amazed that I managed to write it reasonably realstically. My youngest is only 19 months so those days of screaming is far from forgotten (heck who am I kidding, she never stopped them!) and motherhood is, both a gift, but also increadibly hard work. Especially when  tyring to function on less than ideal amounts of sleep.