Like Roses over a Fence by Ellie

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Betas: Istarnie and alassiel

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Indis, Nerdanel, and Anairë on their grief and their duty to help in healing the Noldor.

Major Characters: Anairë, Indis, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Anniversary Contest

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 235
Posted on 27 September 2007 Updated on 27 September 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like your ladies.  I think it's very in-character Elvish to be consumed by grief, but also to eventually find reason and strength to go on.  Both of those extremes are characteristicly Elvish, I think, especially of the Noldor.  I wish we had more fic about this three, it seems to me that these girls are not written about often enough.

Oh Ellie, I have been treated to your fabulous Eärwen and Anairë before, but I loved the way you voiced Nerdanel and Indis! I really like the gentle turn in this story because when they sit together all I want to say to them: look at you in pity, loathing and yeah self-doubt. Even Morgoth’s lies and shadows are here at work. This feels stressed also with the scene you put them in, in a shadowed garden, crushing flowers. And then, Indis turns the tide in a great way, as the high queen of the Noldor should do. With this, she also empowers Anairë and Nerdanel, showing the fallen Valar that even in Aman they cannot get to them. They are strong roses indeed, with thorns, but also beautiful and strong – what a great analogy and greatly explored. This is again another gem of your stories Ellie!

Wow!

For some reason this reminds me of Richard III and the start of Act 4 with all the women cursing the tragedies that have occured, but they did nothing, but these women are determined and focused on doing what they can to bring back the trust that was lost in the remaining Noldor, for the trust of the Teleri are another matter.

Roses, beautiful and seeminingly delicate, but with thorns to protect themselves, and endurence.

 Although they have lost everything, they keep moving on, and get over their grief, although the pain will never pass, but it can be sofened by the help of others who know what they are going through.

That was what was wrong with Feanor, for he couldn't commicate with anyone else in his situation, and let it, it being pain, loss and anger, through anger directed at someone who did nothing wrong (Indis and her children), only to marry his father. So I come to the conclusion, it was all Finwe's fault.

Lindale