Innocence by ford_of_bruinen

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Drabble written for the Anniversary contest.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

An elf awoken at Cuivienen looks back at a simpler way of life.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Anniversary Contest

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 101
Posted on 29 September 2007 Updated on 29 September 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love the interplay between the past and the present in this piece, leaving me wondering where this elf actually is now. Would he or she be on Aman … so much to ponder about! I mean this in a good way. :) This all leaves me wondering about the discovery of words, or being thought the meaning of objects by giving it names. What would have happened to the elves if Melkor remained at Angband with his shadow and Oromë would have felt no need to make contact with them. So much innocence lost, also they gained a lot, but at what price. This is very thought-provoking Uli and I am amazed you captured so much meaning in just 100 words.

Then the shadows veiled the stars and we quivered, staring at the power of that which ate the light and we hid; among the rocks of the shore, among the trees in the forest, until the shadows passed and light returned.

This section in particular shows just how trusting the Elves were. Just lovely.