The last stand by Rhapsody

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Many many thanks to Trekqueen, for combing through this so thoroughly and her great suggestions. This was written for the Silmarillion Anniversary Writing Contest.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

During the final moments of the Nírnaeth Arnoediad, a captain and his men rescue two elves during their last and desperate stand.

~MEFA 2008 Second place  in Times: First Age and Prior: General, thank you Pandemonium for nominating it!~

Major Characters: Beleg, Ecthelion of the Fountain, Mablung

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama

Challenges: Anniversary Contest

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 936
Posted on 29 September 2007 Updated on 29 September 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I told you this before, and I'll gladly say again that this is a very interesting and well written take on the final moments of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. I often wonder what might have transpired and how Beleg and Mablung made it back to Doriath. You gave us a very believable explanation here, which is also an enjoyable read.

Being a huge Sindar fan, I'm always very keen on seeing stories that show the relations between them and the Noldor. Knowing all the grudges and accusations, and Thingol's attitude on top of that, I'm thrilled to see a story that explores this particular subject woven into the tragic events of the battle. You did a great job portraying the march wardens in such a short story, giving them separated voices. I also love the insightful bit told by Ecthelion.

Wonderfully done! 

I had a great time ignoring my Fëanorian muses and crawl under the skin of those two Sindar warriors. Echtelion came smoothly, but Beleg  insisted on giving his two cents :) It just amazes me that with all the details known about this battle, nothing is mentioned about these two. As for voices, thanks so much! It took me a while before I could get into the 1st character's head, but after that - especially with Beleg - it felt like smooth sailing. Thanks for your wonderful review *hugs*

Thank you for your review! I hope that once you get to chapter 20 of the book, this story will come across as a small gap-filler. :) I loved to tackle the interaction between Ecthelion who as a Gondolodrim warrior has lived so isolated in the hidden city and the two Sindar elves who could roam freely if they chose to... A somesort of culture clash and yet not.

I enjoyed this story very much! I loved your Ecthelion who seemed so lordly and proud, but justifiably so and his respectful rescue and  acceptance of Mablung and Beleg was wonderful to see. I like it when authors show the Noldor as being worthy friends and allies of the Sindar and not just lording it over them (or trying to) or treating the Sindar as if they are lesser beings. The Nirnaeth was such a dreadful battle and you have proitrayed the desperation and the defeat very well with due honor to the Sindar and to those who aided teh escape of the Gondolindrim. Well done!

Yay Ellie!  Thanks for letting me know that one of my goals for this piece worked, especially with Ecthelion who at his turn lived so long in the Gondolin culture that is a mix of Noldor and Sindar. Beleg's reaction to that was a delight to tackle (or did he tackle me...). The Nirnaeth remains my favourite battle of all (as weird as that may sounds), but yes I felt I had to write this little tribute to those who sacrificed so much. Thanks for this wonderful review!

I'm a major fan of your Beleg, so I was thrilled to read your resolution as to the fates of the Doriath warriors after this horrific battle, the tension of which you captured well.  Hat's off  to you for the description of very complicated scenes. I really like how you handled the cultural schisms - and commonalities - between the Noldor and Sindar during extenuating circumstances.  And you gave Ecthelion just the right balance of arrogance and compassion.  Well done, Rhapsody!

Thanks! Ecthelion has been a character that occasionally comes to visit lately, so it was intended to be his point of view alone. Until Beleg insisted on saying his piece and well Mablung, that scene just popped up like that and refused to be edited out. I think somehow that Ecthelion lived together with the Sindar so long in Gondolin, he picked up some of their history and culture. Yet he remains a Noldo and a leader still, and then there is Beleg who would not follow any other men (darn, I love him also): mix it a bit and set it loose...  I am glad it worked! Thanks so much for this wondeful review! *hugs*

Cut and paste of my MEFA 2008 review:

"Unnumbered Tears"? I can vouch for that. I am not a crier, either while reading or watching movies, but every time I read Rhapsody's The Last Stand it brings me to tears.

In her account of the greatest and most important battle of the First Age, she touches on so many of the key and most significant points in such a short piece and with such skill and emotion. This is a must read for anyone, either confirmed Silm-geek or LotR reader who has often wondered what all the emotion of Silm aficionados come from when this particular event is raised.

The heart-rending tragedy of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad or the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, organized largely by Maedhros, is that the Elves and Men who participated in that great confrontation could almost taste victory, but it went down into the last great defeat of the Elves through a combination of betrayal and the short-sighted lack of the entire support of all of their potential allies. Thingol, in his increasing resentment and mistrust of the Noldor, withheld his potentially significant support. Turgon, forced to guard his, in my opinion great folly, of the hidden city of Gondolin, brought only 10,000 men. The principled and selfless heroism of the two greatest warriors of Doriath, Beleg and Mablung, is shown in their response to word of the preparations for that battle. They obtain leave of Thingol to go alone, unable to turn their backs on this enormous effort to finally unseat Morgoth.

Rhapsody tells a poignant could-have-happened-this-way detail of the end of that battle and the result of it for Mablung and Beleg. The whole first section, written from the point of view of Ecthelion of Gondolin, show him to be a hero in the best sense and a truly admirable man. Yet his voice is pricelessly and effectively that of a haughty Noldo, a beautifully balanced character study. He is my favorite part of the piece.

And, through their choices, Mablung and Beleg away changed and wiser. I have to repeat this is a must-read and highly original and deeply moving account of one of most important events recounted in The Silmarillion. (And it is really short! Wow!)

P.S. Forgot to add that Fingon dies and Ecthelion's response is heartbreakingly prescient: "Fingon is defeated. What hope is there here for us now? I try to keep the morale high by hiding my doubt; I do what I must do: issue commands to protect our leader, let them break as waves on our phalanx."