House of the Setting Sun by Robinka

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For Hrymfaxe, my friend and a die-hard fan of Mablung.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

No hope, no regrets. An AU take on Mablung's coming to terms with the passing of Melian and the consequences thereof.

Major Characters: Mablung, Melian

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Het, Romance

Challenges: Anniversary Contest, Gift of a Story

Rating: Adult

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 5, 945
Posted on 1 October 2007 Updated on 1 October 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Mablung and Melian belong to J.R.R. Tolkien.

My endless thanks to Rhapsody for her invaluable help, beta-reading and encouragement. Thank you!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This story is subtly and craftily written where it gives me the feeling afterwards that I must read it again to discover another detail, layer. So where to begin... To me this has this sublime mix of horror/fantasy like Gaiman writes, but with this touch of sensuality. It is not used to spice up the story, oh no, the purpose of the act is much sinister and I cannot help to wonder why Melian used him in such a manner. It nearly feels as if her fate becomes full circle by entrapping another elf in her enchantment – because well Melian created the same magic with Elwë when both met. Mablung is so painfully aware of all and I think Binks that you presented such an intriguing march warden to us: a veteran in battle, yet so insecure about matters of love. With this you weave in a horror element, which explored Mablung’s choice, the human nature of his decision balanced against his morale and what he should do. His struggle with his inner demon is greatly explored: insanity vs reason, love vs death… such great themes. This is not like a warrior in battle: these are emotions, hidden desires and dealing with an enchantment where as the moment it will be broken.... Mablung is so conflicted in this piece, struggling and yet at the end he knows that just as a soldier knows that he has to go on, no matter what happened: it is his duty for well Queen and country. But the ending, it brings tears to my eyes and yet it leaves it all in the open how he will deal with this and the Nauglamír: what can he possibly tell to Dior? This is a fabulous piece Robinka, I marvel at how you balanced this all with such great storytelling.

I think that what works best for me in this story is the lingering melancholy feel from Melian's slow and painful demise into the fate of a Secondborn. I am not too familiar with stories set in Doriath, but this is the first I've seen of this idea as it pertains to Melian, and I found it an intriguing interpretation that (for once) didn't make her out to be a villain for her desertion of Doriath. This is one of those questions that--as a Silmarillion fan--has always bothered me, and I appreciate how you have addressed it here.

It might have been pure, I cannot deny, but once the blackness poisoned it the purity will never arise again. The hand of its creator [snip] planted his madness in it and the hand of its thief affected it with reckless greed.

This is really interesting to me! I am in the midst of a ne'er-ending research project/essay about the Silmarils and light in Tolkien's world, and this is a new interpretation to me. (My personal hypothesis is that the "evil" of the Silmarils derives from attempting to hoard something--light--that should have been freely available to all; as it was, it could be coveted and kept. There are other examples of this idea in Tolkien's earliest works ... but I digress! :^P)

Anyway, in all, a lovely story with interesting ideas, and I thank you for sharing it!

Dawn,

I wasn't sure how the idea of Melian's aging would work, and I'm so glad it did. I wanted to give her a touch of awkwardness, something appropriate for a Maia. Besides, I've always considered her choice of leaving the lesser of two evils, sort of. She wouldn't have probably withstood the fall of Doriath anyway. And when I think about the possibility of Melian being slain by one of the Feanorians... Sheeesh, maybe she had just prevented them from committing a more disastrous crime?

Thank you for your kind words :) You made my day.

This was a stunning story and a delight (in a lump-in-throat way) to read. I frequently found myself holding my breath at the portrayal of your characters. Melian is very - as far as that is possible in a universe so different from our own - otherworldly, as befitting a Maia, and an unusual one at that. I also liked the twist on Mablung's absolute loyalty and quite contrary to that the insecurity he displays, as it gives the reader something to emphasize with and strengthens the impact of the story.  The conclusion - wow. This is again a place that almost had me in tears... possibly the only fitting ending to this wonderful piece. It is, for lack of a better word, spooky, and the feeling of Doriath after its fall was conveyed very very convincingly by your choice of words and descriptions. Fall, fading, the setting sun (though this detail had me pause a moment, because the sun is generally associated with men, not with elves, but it works in the context), and the other motives - convincingly done, and the adult scene just added further depth and tragedy to it. To think that a means to create life is twisted to bring on Melian's end in this story... thank you for writing this. 

Oh wow! Thank you a million for your wonderful review. I'm very happy that you like the story and honored to have received such a comment :)

As for the sun, I didn't think about it as associated with the Silm mythology, but more about a general metaphor of a setting sun as an end. :) I'm glad it worked. Thanks! And sorry for a long delay with replying.