Gwindor's Love by Rianna

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thanks to Robinka for beta-reading

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Gwindor dreams about his beloved Finduilas. A double drabble.

Major Characters: Gwindor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 199
Posted on 18 March 2008 Updated on 18 March 2008

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm so glad that you decided to post your double drabble here :D Congratulations on your first posting!

Now, this is a lovely take on Gwindor's love, touching and romantic, yet with a disturbing note in the background. But first things first.

I have no doubt that the thought of Finduilas was the thing that kept Gwindor alive throughout the time of slavery. I suppose it was a kind of fuel of his need to escape, just as revenge had been the main factor of his captivity. You give a nice insight to Gwindor's feelings here. He seems full of hope and at the same time he is very uncertain of Finduilas' reaction to seeing him.

I like how you composed this drabble: the dream and Finduilas standing on the terrace, bathed in the starlight, and the reality somewhere near the Narog, with the sun shining and... Turin (Can I stab him with a fork, please, please?) as he and Gwindor were on their way to Nargothrond. And the last line said it all - poor Gwindor. :(

Great job, my dear! Welcome to SWG :D

To be honest, when I read a part about arriving Turin to Nargothrond, for the second time I thought that Tolkien was unfair. In my opinion, after all Gwindor had gone through he deserved to be happy. But he didn't manage to enjoy his love for Finduilas. Tolkien decided to make him one of the victims of "Turin's curse". :( The story makes me sad everytime I read it. (Yes, you can stab Turin with anything you want! ;) )

I'm glad that I manged to show Gwindor's feelings with a disturbing note in the background, as you noticed, because I wanted everyone to remember about the end of this poignant love story.

I'm happy that you liked it. Thanks for... well, you know, for everything. :)

As for my first posting - I guess I'm doomed now. ;)

Aw Gwindor, poor guy. This is an elf that suffered so much and in this beautiful short piece you show exactly what kept him going and reaching for the light. To endure... and then the twist at the end, I really could see him standing there and gazing at his beloved, only to find out it is a most important memory. Knowing what is too come though... This is wonderfully drabbled and well rounded.

This is lovely! I really like the idea of Gwindor's love for Finduilas being the thing that carried him through his captivity. And his insecurity as he approaches their meeting is very touching and real. And of course we know what happens next as he brings Turin home with him. Grrrr!

I love this - thank you for sharing! And welcome to the SWG, I look forward to reading more from you.

I like to think also that Gwindor's love for Finduilas gave him strength for escape and return to Nargothrond. I don't think that he would be able to come back without a hope that she still waits for him. Isn't it very romantic? ;)

Yeah, Turin. I have shivers on the sound of his name.

Thanks for the review. :) I'm very happy that you liked my writing.