The People of Akallabeth by Hamfast Gamgee

| | |

Disaster!

Ok, so it's later than August.  But I did write most of the tale in August.  Anywhere here is the rest of it. A little word of warning, there is a tiny bit of nasty stuff in this one, but only for those that are very imaginative/sensitive it's not that much, and relevant to the plotline!  Please read and review!


'yes, Naomi, remember that black smoke in the harbour's distance!'

'Oh, I thought that was smoke from a charming village.'

'No, Naomi, not quite!' and Whitesnake is back,'

Dan added, 'I bet he's disappointed after his dealings with us!'

'Not really Dan he's actually very pleased he managed to buy up some valuable diamond mines for himself he's as powerful as ever. Finally there's a letter for you from the King, Ar-Pharzon!'

Later that night as the meeting ended Dan asked Amandil what was in the letter. Amandil told him, 'It's a request from the King. Very politely reminding me of my, ha, noble past and asking me to join him.'

'Will you?'

'It's tempting but no. Mind he does seem to think that I am in command of the faithful. I'm only in command of my own family and small group of followers. Don't even do that really most people follow me voluntarily. I suppose that I was once a Captain of men and I am a descent of one of the kings of Numenor but... I may have a certain symbolic value but that's it. Still he will get my reply.'

It was probable that Ar-Pharzon expected Amandil's negative reply which explained why the following day Naomi, Turin and Dan were wandering down an alley of Liverpool when Dan gave a cry and before them a large group of tough-looking soldiers of the king marched on. It was perhaps fortunate that the three were able to beat a hasty retreat as they were soon spotted and with a cry the soldiers chased after them.

As she ran Naomi asked, 'Why are those soldiers so keen to get at us?'

Dan's reply was 'I'm not sure maybe we just look suspicious to them and they wish to question us!'

'I do not wish to spend time in a Numorean prison cell,' puffed Naomi,

'No, me neither!' As Naomi, Dan and Turin ran the three saw more soldiers of the king clomping about and fires starting up and outright fighting with members of the faithful.

Naomi muttered to Dan, 'It looks like outright war has broken out between the Kings men and Faithful!'

'Yes, if you can call it war, it looks to me as though the faithful are on the retreat!' Naomi looked around and had to agree with Dan.

It began to rain. Cold, wet, heavy, driving rain. As it splatted of Dan he heard a voice crying, 'Oi! down here?' and looking around saw Mr.N, Sarah and Amandil's second son a man called Torondor indicated a flight of steps going down to a large cellar.

In it, Amandil was pacing about. elendil asked him, 'What now, father, it seems the crackdown has started!'

'Well we can retreat to the Eastern Islands for now!', Torondor continued, 'I have made some arrangements but ...' There was then a large crash at the cellars doorway up above.

A captain of the Guard and some soldiers entered he growled, 'You are all under arrest don't move,'

Elendil cried, 'I thought this was a safe house,'

A woman called Jeni coughed, 'You know what thought did! this way!' She used a hammer to smash a hole in one of the cellars walls and cried, 'Secret underground passage!' and everyone rand down a dark, mysterious underground tunnel, covered in mysterious runes.

Jeni managed to lose the soldiers for them, then lead them up a ladder to one of the shabbier back streets of Liverpool. It was still raining. There was no immediate signs of soldiers but Amandil urged them to hurry to a rendez-vous point. A group of very small furry-feet people headed for the party.

'This way we will accompany you!' the leader said,

Naomi coughed a little, 'Who, in the name of Eru are they?'

Mr.N answered, 'Hobbits! Relatively free from evil and our closest allies. They look small, but are quite tough inside trust me!'

Naomi scowled disagreeing, 'What do they do nibble you to death?'

In fact, Mr. N was right. I can say that the Hobbits were excellent archers, good companions capable of enduring rough treatment and in evil situations had avoided the temptations which many tougher men had fallen for. But Hobbits did look very much like young human children at first sight so Naomi's skepticism was understandable.

Elendil suddenly gave a cry. Dan looked and with horror saw a siege engine trundling slowly towards him. The siege engine was taller than houses and was full of heavily armed king's men. It crushed all before it. Curiously enough the Hobbits managed to pick of some with arrows and scarcely missed.

But out of the siege engine spurred arrows rocks and flairs. All the housed caught fire making smoke cover the area blinding Dan. Then a falling stone from a house caught Dan's head and he was knocked cold. The last thing he saw was Turin a foot away crying, 'at em!' and wielding his sword above his head.

Dan woke up and groaned loudly. Those of you who are a little older may remember drinking too much and waking up rough the next morning. Well that is exactly how Dan felt. Poor Dan! Those of you who are too young or unwilling to experience that particular pleasure just imagine Dan's head hurting a great deal. As he tried to focus he was that he was in a cell chained up with 6 fellow prisoners. Two of thom he recognized as Mr.N and Turin.

'What's happened, where am I?' asked Dan.

'In a prison cell. At the bequest of a certain Edward Whitesnake, I fear. We have faced defeat.'

'Basically more and more of the king's men arrived and those that could were forced into a hasty retreat. But in the smoke, flames and confusion not everyone could. Some of us were captured as you can see. Amandil got away though as did Elendil and you're friend Naomi. But now were in Jail and unsure as to what fate awaits us. A the hands of Whitesnake.'

Dan was quiet for a time. Then he heard a noise and Turin laughed, 'Oh god it's Whitesnake's servant Baldrick. We may have a chance,' Baldrick, a small nasty-smelling man opened the cage and said,

'I need to ask you some questions.'

Turin said quietly, 'come here Baldrick I can tell you what you need to know. Come. Closer. Closer.' Baldrick moved to Turin's chained form. Just as his head bended towards Turin, Turin moved sharply head-butting Baldrick and knocked him unconscious. Despite been chained with some deft movement Turin was able to pick up the cell's keys and free everyone.

But their moment of freedom did not last long. Dan appeared to be in a house/fortres outside of which a large force of guards trapped the three in a room. Dan heard footsteps and they hastily hid. In might I add the most obvious places. Dan under a large table, Mr.N in a cupboard and Turin behind a chair. But in walked Baldrick. He just looked then as though he was about to panic.

'Hmmm, maybe we have got away with this!' thought Dan.

Then Whitesnake entered with some men. Baldrick cried out, 'I've lost those important prisoners I can't find them anywhere!

Whitesnake answered, 'Oh, yes, Baldrick!' and looked under the table saying, 'Come out now Dan!' He also pointed out the hiding places of Turin and Mr.N with similar ease. And so soon the three were back in the prison cell. As they were chained up Whitesnake continued, 'I apologize for that. Baldrick here is so thick that if one of those Wizards that I hear about was to magically disappear his brain I doubt if we would notice any difference. Now you can prepare yourself for intensive interrogation. Baldrick if you lose them again you'll wish you were dead!'

And with that Whitesnake departed. 'I'm surprised he said that why should I wish I was dead?' Baldirck questioned everyone. Learning his lesson (at least for he time being Baldrick stood clear with a couple of guards. He asked Dan,' Now I am going to please my master by getting information out of you. I want you to tell me everything. Everything that you know!'

Dan smiled thinly, 'Everything? Fine. I'll tell you everything!'

The next day Dan was sitting at a desk, tied up, looking at Whitesnake opposite and some guards. Whitesnake was reading some notes. Whitesnake was formidable, intelligent, with a touch of sarcasm and one of the most complete Bastards you are ever likely to come across. Sorry about the bad language kids, but in this case it's necessary. C.S Lewis would turn in this grave!

Whitesnake chuckled grimly at his notes. 'Well, Baldrick, when I said information I actually meant useful information. I'm not sure that I'm that interested in Dan's holiday japes in the isle of Alderney of the west coast when he was a kid!' Dan lifted his eyebrows slightly as Whitesnake continued, 'And I must say that whilst I thought my school days were dull that's nothing compared to yours. 60 pages of your childish mannitations. If I have to read about your rivalry with Bugboy one more time I'll scream. And I'm sure that you're tales of your parties at 15 are made up. Baldrick, Why is there nothing here above his age of 20?

'Ah, yes, it became 12 midnight and as it was past my bedtime I decided to tuck myself in!'

'Baldrick do not ever, ever, ever use your initiative with me again! Now then Dan. What I really need to know is information on the Northlands in your homeworld. Some of those lands could be highly profitable to me but I need to know more about them and as a native you could tell me this. I have large areas of the South under my Economic control but to increase my wealth I want to expand'

Dan asked Whitesnake, 'Is this in the interests of the people their?'

'Frankly who cares? It's in my interests and that's what counts. At least to me!'

The following days of imprisonment were very difficult for Dan. Whitesnake seemed to think that Dan knew more than his fellow inmates which was probably true. But Dan was worried that some of the information which he gave may be of use to Whitesnake. But then again it might not. And Dan had to think of himself as Whitesnake was quite happy to use rough treatment to loosen Dan's tongue.

Some of Whitesnake's statements were odd if not to say disturbing. He once said to Dan, 'Do you have any children? No? Oh that's a shame, I like children. For my tea. Very tasty. But I don't often get the pleasure. I have had Dwarf-child, a little tough and once an Elven youngling. Delicious, especially the pointy ears. Maybe you'd like to share!'

Dan felt rather ill. The rumours about Whitesnake were true! he replied to Whitesnake, 'I think I will decline thanks' been grateful that he'd decided not to eat any meat given to him while he was incarcerated.

In this time of trial, Dan was helped by one of his fellow prisoners. He was a small, furry-footed, brown-skinned Hobbit. A cheerful fellow called Timbo. He managed to amuse Dan with his tales or at the least take Dan's mind of his predicament. Timbo was not that concerned about Global wars, kings, Gods or even ships but the minucee of his people's dealings. 'Well you know my friend Torto married Isabelia. Quite a surprise that was as he came from Hades and found the woods of Issabelia's country trying for his health. But they ended up happy!'

Timbo seemed to come from a small corner of Numenor which was still fair. But in the middle of this, Baldrick called in Dan for more interrogation.

In a similar situation as previously, Whitesnake pondered, 'you don't seem to have much knowledge of the southlands Dan why is that?'

'I haven't really travelled that much in that direction although I do keep abrest of the news in those countries. Which I have to say is mostly bad, dark and evil.'

'That depends on your point of view. I have considerable influence in that part of the world and have always enjoyed myself. Especially in the company of those moist, sensual young women!' Whitesnake was correct. In the south of Dan's world the King's men controlled mighty lands. In this many powerful men like Whitesnake encouraged the slavery of young women whom had to obey the whims of the rich menfolk in whatever way they were commanded. Which was pretty bad. Although sometimes the young men had to encounter worse with the rich, powerful, Numenor women.

Now I realise that last paragraph was rather nasty. But these things happened in those days. Dan was pondering this when he realised Whitesnake was speaking again. 'Which is just my point. We are a very dominant force we men of Numenor. Which is how I like it. And I feel nervous about this attack on the Gods land Valinor. The Gods do not interfere with us so why provoke them?'

'Something to do with claiming immortal life wasn't that how the row s tarted?'

'Yes, but how will invading Valinor help we're not going to find it in a box!'

'Aren't we?'

'No we're not Baldrick and besides I have over 100 years of my life yet. Mortality does not bother me!'

'Would Ar-Pharzon let you off?'

'He might very well. I am thinking of moving over to middle-earth with my 30-000 strong force. I am one of the most powerful noblemen in Numenor. I think I have the power. Sauron? Yes he's powerful too but there is nothing he can say to persuade me to go. Yes, Baldrick what is it? Why are you jumping up and down like that?'

Baldrick was pacing up and down the cell saying, 'Oh, oh, oh,'

'Oh, never mind. I'm not sure why I am taking you into my confidence like this. I haven't told people my opinion on this. Maybe it's because you will be dead in a few days as I'm having you executed!'

Dan flinched, frightened by this. 'For a number of reasons. For the sake of the king, what Baldrick!'

'I've just remembered. Sauron gave me a message. He's coming to speak to you!'

'What, Baldrick, when?'

'Um, later today, actually'

'What? A meeting with the most powerful, evil, cunning being in Numenor is coming to meet me and you fogot to tell me?'

'I knew there was something important for me to remember!'

Just then there was a cry an explosion and shouts. The room shook. Baldrick muttered, 'Crumbs, I fogot about that attack by Dwarves an all!'

Baldrick remind me to feed you to my pet dragon, Tiddles!'

The next sequence of events despite their importance happened quickly for Dan. The lights went out and smoke covered the room. then, seemingly, the floor was cut open and from underneath several Dwarves sprang out. Dwarves were short, bearded of brown and white-skin, clad in tough mail and wielding axes. Whitesnake smartly moved out of the way crying for aid. Dan was impressed by the Dwarves surprising strength. One unbuckled his chained with an axe and the Dwarves more than held their own in the ensuing fight with Whitesnake's men despite been outnumbered.

Now by some strange chance it fell to Dan to take on Baldrick. I'm not sure I've told you this, but Dan was not the greatest fighter in the world and was very nervous about fighting Baldrick. But as it happened with a quick parry, Dan cut away Baldrick's sword with his own. He was thinking that Baldrick must be hopeless for him to defeat Baldrick so easily. Dan moved in for the kill.

But Baldrick begged and pleaded for his life. 'No, no, no please don't kill me, please!'

Dan wavered. At first he thought, ' as a corpse you may smell better!' as Baldrick really stank. But he did not or could not kill the wretched creature grovelling before him. You might think this was soft of Dan but I think it showed the humanity of the man. As Dan hovered though Baldrick whacked Dan in the codpiece with an axe making Dan's eyes water, then Baldrick ran away laughing.

One of the Dwarves remonstrated, 'What did you do that for Baldrick's got away now!' then 3 things happened at once. Firstly the Dwarves cried, 'Come on now's our chance lets get away,' and everyone started to dash down the underground passage. As he fled, Dan caught a glimpse of a cold, shadowy, armed creature which oozed fear and the mere sight of which froze his heart as it's red-eyes focused upon him.

Mr.N whispered to him, 'Sauron. He's here. In his fel form come on quick!' then Dan saw Turin. Turin was taking on four of Whitesnake's guards by himself,

'Come on at you!' cried he,

Dan called out, 'Come down, Turin, you damn idiot!' but it was too late. Turin did bravely slay one guard with a mighty swipe of his sword. But the other 3 in harmony stabbed Turin through his chest and out of his back with their 3 swords and Turin fell dead.

'Noooooo!' screamed Dan in horror. He was frozen, stunned but Mr.N urgently whispered

'come on Dan, there's nothing you can do for him now!' Dan agreed and settling for a silent 1 second salute for his friend with his sword scuttled underground into the dark with the others, tears streaming down his face.

But Dan found himself in a network of tunnels. Apparently in ages past the Dwarves had allied themselves to the Numenoreans and had dug vast mines fairly close to Whitesnake's mansion. The Dwarves who rescued Dan had simply extended this. 'Nice of you to rescue me like this,' Dan said to Jean the Dwarves leader.

Jean replied, 'Oh, were not rescuing you, we're rescuing Timbo here, who alas seems to have fainted in the excitement, he's a noble prince of Hobbits, you just happened to be here as well!

Dan was grateful that he was with Dwarves. Dwarves can see even in total blackness, far better than Men and more than once a Dwarf stopped him saying, 'watch out, there's a drop of hundreds of feet!' then would mutter, 'Only one of the race of men would be so blind as to miss a clear drop like that!' Dan journeyed in the dark for a number of days. He found somethings about Dwarves during his time with the species. Many Dwarves had travelled to Numenor in past years to work. But they had not fallen to evil the same way most of the Numoreans had.

As Jean said, 'We're not so tempted by everlasting life in the same way as some Men are!'

and Mr.N muttered, 'That's probably because Dwarves live to around 300!'

But Dan wondered if there was anything which tempted Dwarves. He was about to find out! After a few days of dark travel, Jean suggested it was time to move to the surface again. Dan emerged into a quiet but scruffy and dark town. Jean said, 'there is an Inn nearby which we Dwarves frequent. A charming place. We can relax there for a time!'

And so Dan and Mr.N found themselves in a Numenor inn. As he waited to be served an argument started amongst the Dwarves which looked like it was starting to get vilent. 'I have to pay do I? Why do I have to pay you son of a Troll?'

'It's your turn,'

'No, it's not don't foget about those boots I bought,'

'Will you pay Amjad?'

No chance, I'm paying for my own and will fight anyone who makes me!'

'Fine,'

'Fine,'

Fine,'

Dan took Naomi's wise counsel and hastily departed. But another greater peril loomed. Many men appeared on their path and walked beside them. More and more appeared. Dan was about to suggest to Mr.N that they try to slope of quietly when a voice before them said, 'Come on slugs don't hold up the crowd. You might miss the king's inspirational words. Unless of course you want to and are therefore a traitor. In which case you can taste Sauron's flames!'

Dan looked at Mr.N who shrugged and whispered to him, 'Well, why not? We might hear something of interest to us!'

And so he, Mr.N and Naomi were standing in a hall with an imense crowd of thousands in the candle lit, dark and heard the King of the Numoreans, Ar-Pharzon the Golden, speak. I can say the stage which Ar-Pharzon was speaking from was certainly impressive. Tented, daubed in gold, with many guards and with banners of proud Numorean houses. Ar-Pharzon was tall, armoured in silver wearing a gold crown with long, grey hair. The King certainly had mastered the art of public-speaking and Dan felt he was been spoken to directly.

Long Ar-Pharzon spoke. He spoke of the glory of the Numorean race. He spoke of how they had conquered the seas, countries, races of Men and even humbled Sauron himself. Of how their power, greatness and glory gave Numenor a right to rule. He spoke of the Numorean invincibility in Battle.

Then he attacked Valinor. As the Numoreans had conquered the Earth why is the land of the Gods and Eldar denied them? Surely the next stage is to subject the Valar and then achieve immortality. The one thing denied to them. Dan could tell that the King had the crowd on his side who cheered, applauded and chanted at him.

Bu the King cried, 'Beware the jealous Valar. They are cunning. We will every Man, sword, ship, horse with us. But you have me. We have our mighty lords, we have our army, our navy, Whitesnake, Sauron, Madam Victoria. And above all we have you the people of Numenor!' The crowd chanted the Numorean chant, 'Hail, hail, hail!' thunderously, waving their torches in the dark. You can add in the 'Sieg Heils,' if you desire!

But Dan felt that he had heard enough. he muttered to Naomi, 'Come let's go!' and so the 3 made their way out struggling through the crowd. But the mass of people were bustling this was and that and before long Dan was on his own and lost. Dan felt he was a bit conspicuous walking on his own with all these people on a main highway and so nipped down a narrow alleyway.

When a voice behind him said, 'Ah, trying to nip down Turanbar's pass are we? Nice to see yu again!' and felt a tap on the knee and looked down onto the face of Timbo the halfling.

'Oh, hi there! Um, I've lsot my companions, Mr. N and Naomi you haven't seen them have you?'

'No sign I'm afraid. Tell you what though I am going to a small gathering of some of my friends. Why don't you join us?' Timbo's small face burst into a smile.

'could be fun,' thought Dan and followed the halfling.

To another Inn, I am afraid over a drink where Dan enjoyed the company of Timbo's pals.

But the evening was young and Timbo turned to him and said, 'dan, this is Judith my boss. Lady Judith I should say. I'm her Butler for my wages. It's a difficult but rewarding job,'

Dan thought to himself, 'Doesn't surprise me!' but was soon joined by a mature well to do lady who must have been around 180. That's about 60 in our terms.

As she sat down, Judith cried, 'Oh, an offworlder, I have a soft spot for you people you're so cute!' and bought him a drink.

Now Judith was jascinated by Dan and his story. And she probed him so gently and cunningly that Dan told her much of his hopes, fears and trials despite the fact he had never seen her before. But he and Judith were getting on well and as the evening wore on, Judith suggested, 'You sound like you're in a spot of bother young man. Why don't you come back home with me and we can get cozy together?'

Dan laughed gently, 'You're a fast one!'

'I'm afraid I can't afford to be anything else at my age!' and so hand gently in each other's hand they left. Now as to what happened next depends upon weather you are reading the adult or child version of this tale. If you are under 16 and reading the child version we will just say that Dan used his charm, wits and deep brown eyes to influence Judith. If you are reading the adult version Judith requested more physical attention, involving Dan's tongue!

Dan spend many weeks, indeed months, in Judith's company. In fact in terms of time nearly a quarter of his time on his adventure he spend with her. One day, however, sitting in her living room overlooking a garden, Judith began to tell him something about herself.

'I'm finding it rather hard to command my men at the moment. This armament which the King is building takes up a lot of my time. Even though I'm not greatly enthusiastic about the whole affair. ' Just then Dan sprang up,

'That's where I've seen you before. you're Lady Judith Victoria. I saw you on the stage with the King's core supporters! Oh, I'll kill that Hobbit next time I see him, he said you where a friend!'

'And indeed I am offworlder. Yes I recognize you're Pelegrain accent and can tell you are one of the faithful. I do actually have some sympathy with you but you're cause just seems so damn hopeless.'

'I'm not sure I agree with you there, I've sen my friends achieve seemingly impossible feats,'

'Hmmmm, maybe. But you are few and weak compared to the Kings hoards. And I have myself to think of. But I have some pull. I can make you a suggestion if you like. Why don't you join me? I can keep you safe from Whitesnake and the king and Sauron. You could be very comfortable. Like my butler Timbo, he likes you!

Dan was quiet at this point. In fact I can say he was greatly tempted by this offer. he was getting tired of adventure and would have appreciated a safe life.

But he also had some plain good sense about him. Despite Judith's assurances he didn't think that he would be protected from Whitesnake's hate who it seemed had it in for him. also to be fair Dan thrived in a decent society with reasonable people like Pelegir. One of the reasons why he was one of the faithful in the first place. Dan wasn't a hero, particularly, but he did not appreciate tyrants like Ar-Pharzon and Sauron just seemed an insanely powerful dark loose-cannon of a demon.

So he said 'I'm afraid that I must reject you're generous offer and make you a counter one. Why don't you join us? You might find us stronger than you think!'

'Hmmmm. I suspect that way lies death. Maybe I should send you back to Whitesnake as you've rejected my offer. Oh all right, you can go back to the Faithful. You'd better go soon as my agents say you're Amandil is soon to make an important statement.'

The next day, Dan, after a full breakfast, left Judith's impressive mansion on horseback making for Amandil. Before he left Judith did say to him, 'I will think about your offer however,'

Dan responded with a nod an with a 'hah,' galloped off. And in quick time entered the home of the addres which Amandil had given him just in time for the meeting.

'An important one too, Amansil is about to tell us his plans for this situation. I hope there good,' said Naomi to him an hour or so later. Indeed the information which Amandil had was important. After welcoming Dan back and a few pleasantries to a number of the faithful, he said

'It's time to tell you what I intend to do. I'm going to travel to the West. I'm going to warn the Valar about the impending attack on them by the king. And to plead with them on behalf of all decent Men so that their wrath be lessened. After all not all have been unfaithful.'

This announcemt was greeted with silence then gasps. 'But isn't there a ban on travelling to the West,' said Dan

'And isn't this treason to the king?' asked his son Elendil.

'Yes and I suppose yes. Our cause is so desperate I am prepared to break the ban and to take the consequences myself. And as for the king he is in the power of Sauron I do not mind betraying Sauron. But my going must be secret. Just myself and my 3 favorite companions will go and I will set of soon.'

There was a slight protest at this.

Elendil cried, 'Just four of you! That will never get you as far as Valinor!'

'I know its risky but any more will have greater chance of been spotted by someone in the king's armarda,'

Dan pipped up, 'You could have 5. I could come. I think you may need me!'

With some reluctance Amandil agreed to this and finished, 'The small boat is ready hidden in the harbour I am afraid we leave today.'

Indeed it was a very small boat. 'Are we going to get anywhere in this heap of junk?' said Dan but before he set of in the gloomy evening dark, Naomi said,

'I suggest you reduce your sails by a third,'

'That's a bit dangerous Naomi,'

'True but don't the Navy scouts look for the sails first? Be more dangerous if you get caught. Even if it is against procedure.'

'All right, we'll do it!'

So with a farewell to Naomi, Mr.N and Sarah, Dan a little sadly sailed onto the gloomy sea. Now the journey was a little problematic. Amandil did not want to travel to the West direct as the major proportion of the KIng's flet lay in the way. So they sailed Eastwards firstly then turned around. The problem was though precisely when to do do this. They were also grateful that they had taken Naomi's advice as on more than one occasion someone spotted one of the sails of the King's ships which would have undoubtedly spotted them if the boats sails had been up fully.

The route took the 5 amongst some of the little used ways of the sea. Little used by Men that is. As a matter of fact a Dwarf ship had spotted the craft and its crew debated what to do. Now I can say that while Dwarves have many excellent attributes sea-faring was not one. These in fact were caught in a dilemma between those who wanted to capture an unregistered ship to sail to Numenor and those who were sick of sea-faring and wanted to reach Middle-Earth quickly.

The Captain, a Dwarf called Izzy was in the latter's camp, and frankly was feeling a bit fed up. However much of the crew took the opposite view which they expressed loudly. So, shaking his bearded head, Izzy said, 'All right if I cannot command you we'll try another way, lets take a vote!' So a vote was taken with an extremely close result. Several votes were in favor of salvage whereas some wanted to return to middle-earth quickly.

Those who thought like Izzy where Paul, Memah, Sue, H, Chris, Tour, Dave, Richard and Laurie. And by just a single vote the no party won. Izzy cried, 'thank the Barkz for that. Come on everyone, let's go home. I've had enough of things here!' And the Dwarf ship continued on it's jerky way.

As did Amandil. Sitting on the boats bow Dan could make out some mist on the horizon. He breathed deeply declaring, 'The mists of Valinor. Which, Dan is as far as you are going. I'm not sure weather the Valar would notice one man landing and leaving but we'd better not chance it. Thank you for your help, which was essential but you'd better return to the lands of Men. We 4 can continue by rowing boat from here!'

And in a brief time of golden sunset Dan watched the other 4 climb into the small boat and begin to row. Just before he left, Amandil passed to Dan a heavy bag full of seemingly stones. 'Oh, I almost foget, with everything else,' said he, 'You'd better take our share of the Palantir! I don't suppose we will need them again, and you might!' Dan took around 4 very heavy stones which had magical powers, but he couldn't lift them all by himself and had to just lay them onto the ship.

Dan had spend a long time sharing much danger with Amandil and was choked up by the fact he would never see the man again. The Valar let no man no matter the cause leave Valinor once they had arrived. Tears fell down his face as he cried, 'Farewell!' and Amandil rowed slowly to the sunset and was never seen by men again. But Dan himself turned the ship around and headed Eastwards. It was dangerous sailing by himself but fortunately this time the sea was calm. Dan was on the water for many weeks and had to avoid the Enemy's ships. Then one day a strange wind took him Eastwoods.

Naomi and Mr.N were taken by the same wind. They like Elendil, Isildur, and the rest of the faithful were forced onto the sea by been finally declared the Ding's enemies. The Ding himself had left some weeks back to begin his assault on Valinor. Naomi was standing on the ships bow looking out to sea. Elendil stood beside her saying, 'A strange wind this is Naomi!'

'I'm not sure, I've got a bad feeling!'

Which just goes to show that the Eldar were not the only people to have premonitions. For Naomi was perfectly correct. No sooner had Naomi said this when there was an almighty bang. Flames could be seen over Numenor and a series of waves some 100ft high smashed into the little fleet and took it away.

And Numenor was destroyed by the Gods. Well, more specifically by Eru the one that the Gods called to destroy the island. Unable to defeat the fleet of the King by conventional means Eru changed the world. And sent waves of mighty water over the Numeroan island sinking it and all it's inhabitants to the bottom of the sea causing the destruction of the mightiest Civilization the old world had seen in a wrath of flames and water.

Coincidentally, the population of Numenor at the time was in the Millions and nearly all perished. I will leave it to you to decidee if this is a happy or sad tale but I think it was sad for those people many of whom were not evil just a little mislead. Also in Numenor existed the species of Ethos a creature similiar to Hobbits. They were a pleasant enough species, who thanks to the fortunes of the time had to live in Numenor . And as a species were wiped, out, exterminated by Numeroan's destruction. Which shows that the valar, who were supposed to be on the side of Good had committed genocide.

Now, as it happens there was a chain of islands just to the south of Numenor. They weren't officially part of the Island which had been created by Eru in ages past, but they where close and had been settled by the Numenoreans for hundreds of years. Eru missed this in his destruction and Whitesnake and many thousands of the King's men that did not go to the war fled their.

But they where spotted by the Valar. In their last act in the world, the Valar destroyed the last remants of the King's men. Including of course many innocent civilians. The last thing which Whitesnake saw in his life before he died was the god of the sea, lifting him up to the sky, then crashing Whitesnake down into the waves ending him.

Now, fine, Whitesnake deserved that. But did all of those on the islands, many of whom where merely remotely involved and fled in terror, including women and children? It is a shame, but in a way ironic that the last act of the Valar was to cause wanton destruction to those that where refugees from a disaster. It worked, I suppose, but I can't help thinking there should have been another way.

However, many of the faithful escaped this fate carred away from the carnage by the wildest storm ever seen by Man as was sung later. This tune is best sung with hard rock. Well that was how I received it and I do think it suits the tale well, we are talking about the destruction of a civilization after all:

Cast aside from their island's end

Dwarves, Hobbits and the Elves friend

Ships tossed high by bluey waves

And to avoid their watery graves

Men happy that they were allied

With Dwarfs, Hobbits or they'd died

After days tossed from ships bow to birth

The scouts saw the shore of middle-earth

Now as the song suggested the faithful were not on their own as about half the Dwarfs and most of the Hobbits had also escaped. Which the Men were grateful for as without them most of the ships would have foundered under water. And, indeed, Lady Judith was also in the fleet bringing with her 3000 men.

And after many days with a splash the little fleet smashed onto the beaches of the Middle-Earth coastline. The survivors of Numenor's destruction, clambered onto their way and staggered ashore somewhat shaken. By no means all of the Faithful had survived. Some had decided to remain on the Island and had perished in the waves with the rest of the population, which was about a third of the faithful. Baldrick, curiously had survived and had made his own way back to Middle-Earth.

Naomi collapsed on to the Earth looking very green in the face. She gulped to Mr.N 'I am never, never, never going to step foot on a Ship again. I never thought we would reach dry land. So much for the comfortable travelling of the Numenor ships.'

'I didn't think they were designed for the greatest storm of the Age to be Fair. But I think I will be staying on dry land for the time being as well. Still what now?'

'What happened to Dan? I hope to goodness he wasn't on Numenor when disaster struck.'

Mr.N sighed replying, 'I only hope he was on the sea. If he was he might have survived Naomi. But I meant what I said what do we do now? Despite what has just happened life does go on. For us at least we can't just mope around here in stunned despair for the rest of our lives can we?'

Although Naomi couldn't help thinking that was what a lot of people seemed to be doing. Many people wear just standing around as though the shock of what had happened had just hit them. Curiously the Dwarves and Hobbits were less effected and were already making plans to move on. Indeed in their own manner many of the Hobbits had become almost disrespectfully cheerful and carrying on as normal.

'Yes, I agree,' commented Lady Judith, 'Why don't we try and make contact with the dwellings of our exiles?'

Elendil stood up from despair, 'Yes, fine, come one everyone lets get going. But first some respect is due. Turn to the west everyone,' and everyone turned to where Numenor had been and even the Dwarves and Hobbits stood for a two-minute silence out of respect for the fallen civilization.

And them moved onwards in a South-eastwardly direction. But it wasn't long before some galloping hooves were heard and horsemand could be seen riding up. They were locals in the North of Middle-Earth and were astonished by the news which they received. But the Horsemen had news of their own.

the leader of the Horsemen said, 'War! Recently our allies the Elves of Gil-Galad have occupied the strategically important fort of Khaloduz from which in his days of power Sauron had sent forces of his Orcs to raid us on many an occasion. Well, hardly had we established ourselves when Orcs in great numbers attacked. Gil-galad is hard-pressed. None of us wish to see the days of or-raids return so as many of us as possible are heading that way for relief. I'm sure we could use your aid!'

Elendil agreed and ordered his people to assist. Mr. N looked at Naomi saying, 'what do you think,' Naomi agreed, though she wasn't sure as to the location of the fort, but it was a hundred miles or so away.

In the meantime, you may wish to know what had happened to Dan. Well he had been carried away in the same storm as the others. He had also crashed onto the Western shore been alive but there was little left of his ship. Though he did still carry the palantir's. It was evening, misty, cold and he had never felt more alone. But at least he had survived and Dan attempted to find some dwellings, which he succeeded at and heard the news of the War. He also found about the others landing to his delight. Dan thanked the farmer and headed off.

The following night there was one important incident. Dan was lying in his sleeping-bag unable to sleep when he felt the presence of utter evil. He bravely looked out and could see a fleeting shape of a wrath with 2 red eyes. He felt a familiar presence one which he had felt at Numenor a few times and it was a feeling which once you've had once you don't foget. However the Wraith was obviously weak and quickly moved on.

Through careful searching he discovered where the army of Elves and Men were and caught up with them just before the fort to the delight of Naomi and Mr.N who embraced their companion. Naomi said 'We were fearing the worse over you, Dan, and do you have news of Amandil?'

Dan replied in the negative suggesting that Amandil would never be seen again. 'Who knows weather or not he got his message through. From what I hear all the free world is heading for Khalduz. Except for Endwaith of course. Those people have too many monsters of their own!'

Naomi clicked her fingers. 'Oh, yes, Endwaith. I have to be heading that way, I have an idea. See you soon!'

'Oh, er, fine, then!' added Dan. But soon the Army of Elves and Men with a few Hobbits reached Khadoduz. As soon as he entered the fort Dan set of to find Gil-Galad the Elvish King. Dan offered to him, 'I have a little device from Amandil you might find useful. It's the system which was offered to you at Rivendell. It can be used with the Plantir to observe areas close to you. Amandil gave it to me just before he entered Valinor.

He said it wouldn't be much use to him their.' Gil-galad thanked him heartily.

In the meantime Elrond informed, 'A large army of Orcs and evil men - some of whom are the few Kings Men who survived Numenor. And their General is a dread, evil Lord called Lord Baldrick.' Elrond was a bit puzzled as to why Dan burst out laughing at this, 'Excuse me, Dan but did I say something funny?'

'Sorry, I appreciate the serious of this, but if the commander is the Baldrick which I know that could be to our advantage!' Khaloduz was a fort of stone gate, towers and pillars covering a pas in the mountains. The defenders, Elves and Men were standing on the top over-looking a valley. There were also a few stout axe-wielding Dwarves on one side and some nervous Hobbits with arrows on the other.

Evening fell to a s tarless night. Some of the Elves gave a shout and Orcs charged across the valley. Many carried large rampants and hurled blasts of fire at the stone gate. Gil-galad and Elendil were facing a strong force. But the Elves and Men bravely filled the valley with their arrows slaying Orcs in their hundreds.

The Palantir and the device which Dan had bought back from Amandil was of great use here. It was basically a method of looking far away, but it could also be used to see through fog, dark and fire which helped the archers to see behind hills and the valley to more accurately fire at the enemy. Some of you might recognize the idea as some kind of Radar system.

But even with this advantage their foes pressed on up to the fort. And drew on and on, As did morning. Just as some Orcs climbed on the fort's roof and Dan cried in despair, night turned to Dawn then day. Mr. N tapped Dan's shoulder to encourage him.

Now as I am sure you aware sunlight was perilous to Orcs and Trolls. When day came hundreds if not thousands of the enemy were turned to stone in an instant. You know that Orcs and Trolls are vulnerable to sunlight. So do I. Obviously the commander Baldrick did not! What he thought when much of his army was turned to stone was never said!

The next day was fairly quiet but this was of limited relief as many of the king's men remnants still held out to give trouble. And in quick time the next night struck with many hours to go. Now when one is an Orc obeying clearly idiotic commands is sometimes your lot.

But it seemed that even the Orcs had become fed up with Baldrick and replaced him with a more competent leader. Whatever became of Baldrick no tale tells. But that night the enemy pressed hard. There was peril of fire beyond the defenders wall and by dawn few of the defenders were willing to stand on the wall to use their arrows. Indeed it was only the addition of Lady Judith's troops which prevented the Orcs massacring Elves, men, Dwarf and Hobbit that evening.

But even daylight bought little relief. This time the Orcs were wiser and hid underground at day's onset and people could do little more than lick their wounds. And the final night appeared to be decisive. Orcs and Trolls swarmed through the ruined walls forcing everyone to make to retreat to the central tower.

But before the final retreat Dan to his horror saw Mr. N, who had with many men being stoutly defending the Towers doors, been surrounded by foes then at the last been stabbed in the chest, had some arrows piercing his as an axe cleaved of his legs and Mr.N's lifeless body fell in a bloody mess of flesh. Dan sobbed again as he saw this crying, 'No!' at this turn of events.

But as Dan looked it seemed that he should soon be worried about himself. The Enemy now had send forth their full strength and the defenders position was perilous. The tower they were cowering, although strong, looked little likely to last against the balls of flame which was been cast at it.

Dan kicked out in despair. It hardly seemed fair to die now after all he'd been through. 'I don't supose we will even last the night,' were his gloomy thoughts.

When he heard a great cry. And more shouts. For some reason the Enemy was retreating. It was not the dawn as that was hours away. But as people looked they saw a sight that raised everyone's hearts in joy. Dan saw on the Enemy's rear his long companion Naomi leading a host of allies in the free people's favour. Quite how she had done it, Dan wasn't sure, but from the country of Endwaith Naomi had gathered an army.

Now the fortunes of battle were reversed. With everything in their favour, Men, Elves, Dwarves and Hobbits were stronger than their Enemy who now retreated if they could or were slain save a few men and Orcs who sought quarter. But as an army, the enemy were dispersed and retreated before the strength of the free peoples and disappeared by dawn.

Dan was then re-united with his companion Naomi in the bright morning sun, looking at the force which she had bought with her. Dan exclaimed, 'That was clever, how did you manage that?'

Naomi smiled at him, 'Well, in fact, it was your idea. You remember that before we left for Numenor that a Vampire was keeping the people of Endwaith in thrall and that you knew how to deal with it? Well then Amandil said we were to busy departing to do so but I decided to take it up when we came back. In doing so taking your advice that Vampires are venerable to silver.'

'Oh, yes, I'd fogotten about that,'

Naomi then said with a slight edge to her voice, 'Which was not correct. It is werewolves which are vulnerable to silver. Vampires are vulnerable to metal which is forged from the mines in the ancient west of Valinor. Do you know how scary it is to find you are in an old barn, weaponless, with a Vampire outside only too happy to bite your throat in two searching for you?'

Dan muttered an apology, 'These legends can get a bit mixed you know!'

'Never mind. I did hide from it then Sarah that old friend of ours told me the correct facts with the appropriate equipment we slew the Vampire and in the process released some Thousands of people to come here to bring timely aid to you!'

'Not before time. Many here have been sadly slain including our friend, Mr.N.'

Naomi sighed sadly, 'yes that's such a shame he was quite a hero.'

I heard they will be burying him today with the rest of the fallen. Oh, Lady Judith has survived though here she is,'

'Hello Naomi a very impressive bit of work. It would seem that all of our powers worked together. Strange that my 1000 men and women proved so significant in the end. To think that whitesnake told me that my force was so small it didn't warrant consideration in the assault on Valinor.'

Dan pointed out, 'A good thing he did otherwise you would have died in the waves of the West like him,'

'But it is nice to know that collectively we made a difference.'

Dan added a little in grief, 'Well, yes, but is a shame we couldn't do much about the millions who died. Not just sorrowfully here but many in Numenor on both sides. Even those who were our enemies were not necessarily evil. Just a bit confused and mislead perhaps.'

'I don't see how that could have been avoided. A peaceful conclusion was not possible. I'm not sure it ever was.'

'Now not Naomi but maybe there was a time when it was. Ever hear of the Sail-makers strike.?'

'A little, Dan, but not the full story why don't you tell me?'

'Well, around 500 years ago when the King's men were just starting to get nasty those in Middle-Earth's coastal cities who made the sails which the King's men's ships needed decided to take a hand. But they didn't use violence instead they simply refused to work for the numereoans. Which proved surprisingly effective. In fact the King's men were about to make concessions and treat the peoples of middle-Earth more reasonably when the strikers lost their nerve and caved in.

Partly due to the fact that some of their leaders unwisely went on a dangerous journey at the wrong time many of which didn't survive and the replacements simply were not of the same calibre. So the opportunity was lost.'

Naomi said, 'And so we came to this. I've heard people already describe Numenor as the fallen people. Or the Akallabeth in the old tongue. And in a way we are part of it too. The people of Akallabeth.'

Now I would not wish to leave this tail on such a sad note. That sunny day there was a ceremony headed by Elendil his sons Isildur and Amandil attented by Man, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit and the free peoples.

As the son of Amandil and as the other branches of Numorean royalty had disappeared with Ar-Pharzon, Elendil was given leadership of the Numeroneans in Middle-Earth. He raised his sword to the skies and cried from his half-caste face. Speaking firstly in Old Numeroan, 'Et Earello Endorenna Utulien. Sinome Maruvan ar Hildingar tenn Ambar-Metta!''

In the common tongue, 'Out of the great sea to middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

But Dan did say to the leaders of Elf and Man later, 'The evil is not entirely ended. Sauron has escaped Numenor's destruction. I have felt his presence here. Although much weakened it is something which when you feel it once you don't forget!

Gil-Galad replied, 'Thank you Dan. I know it's not good news but it does confirm what I suspected. We need to know our peril!'

But that does not come into this tail. Lady Judith said to Dan, 'You can see a lady of your own age if you desire it. As your advice to me saved my life I think you were worth the money. But I have a mind to travel to Pelagir. I have interests their so we may still meet each other!' Dan smiled at both her and Sarah.

So the Elves returned to Rivendell and other places. The Men went to start many settlements in Middle-Earth, the dwarves went to dig mines underground and Timbo and his Hobbits decided to head for some woods in the East and Dan with Naomi, lady Judith and many of the Faithful headed home to Pelagir.

Which is were we are coming to an end of this tail.

Having had trials in Numenor

Returning were they had left before

Coming with many tails to tell

With the people of Elendil

Where there friends and the strong died

But by some ability had survivied.

And then by some days journeying down Anduin, Dan and Naomi with friends returned to the town of Pelagir back to it's tall ships and the Inn of the Escourt. Dan made his way to the bar. 'Who wants some Beer?' asked he.

THE END


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment