Lúthien's Tale by clotho123

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Additional warning: This story contains flagrant slander of several Silmarillion characters, especially Daeron.

image5

She's All ThatShe's All ThatShe's All That

Fanwork Information

Summary:

So what made Lúthien go overboard for an unwashed mortal?  The world's only half-Elf half-Maia gives her side of the story.

Major Characters: Beren, Celegorm, Curufin, Daeron, Elu Thingol, Finrod Felagund, Huan, Lúthien Tinúviel, Melian, Melkor, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Humor, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Expletive Language, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 7, 534
Posted on 29 December 2008 Updated on 29 December 2008

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Really, to be perfectly honest, you had me from the summary; "flagrant slander" did it for me.

"after the big row when Father found out about what had happened in Uncle Olwë’s city" -- oh, my. Shame on you!

Another priceless line: "There was just something so terribly innocent about Finrod, that he’d wound up taking part in a rebellion was hard to believe." I have been working very hard on characterization in my current series about the Noldor to try to create a characterization for Finrod that moves away from that one! Too funny for words.

"They say the Sindar are better singers, but the Noldor have much more amusing tricks with language." --love the way you use canon to make your points. (You're not a closet Noldor fancier are you?)

Another great bit of description: "it wasn’t until I’d got him cleaned up a bit I realised he was really very dishy in a haggard sort of way."

"I wouldn’t have put it past Daeron to steal my underwear." --now that is just not fair; but I must admit I always thought of him exactly in that way until I did some rather extensive research on him earlier this year!

"Beren had gone and got himself caught by Sauron.

Oh, dear."

I agree that was a rough moment. Really rotten luck.

"I couldn’t speak Dog (Celegorm could, I think)" --another memorable line and, again, true to canon.

I could go on and on in this fashion, but I will stop here. Great story. Very entertaining.

Thank you for a lovely review!

Closet Noldor fancier - well it depends on the Noldo.  I have to say I've never warmed to Thingol, but I really got quite fond of my Luthien, even though she isn't Tolkien's  (And her idea of amusing tricks with language wouldn't necessarily be the usual elvish one either...)

 And I do know I'm not being fair to Daeron (or Finrod) but those bits practically wrote themselves, and who was I to interfere? I started out trying to write a sensible interpretation of Luthien's motives, but sensible wasn't exactly how it turned out!

I love this much less romantic picture of Luthien. :) It makes her seem more approachable. The idea she was friends with Aegnor is unique; especially since it was Aegnor who was the first elf(we know) who fell in love with a mortal. Also, I'm glad somebody else thinks Orodreth was too timid to not even stand up for his uncle/brother(Depends on which theory you take as canon)! Thanks for writing!

Making Luthien more approachable was the aim, so I'm glad it worked.  I don't dislike canon Luthien, but she is rather up on a pedestal.  And Orodreth, well I think even Tolkien thought he was bit of a wimp ;)   (Although I've toyed with the idea he was really the deep plotter behind the whole coup, but then he's kind of spineless in the Turin story as well).  Thanks for commenting!

*happy sigh* I love this story. It had me laughing from pretty much start to finish - so many witty, accurate (if unconventional) observations of the characters and situations. I like that Luthien starts out slightly bratty, and ends happy and wiser... such a realistic, relatable depiction of one of my favourite tales of the Silm.

Thank you for this! :D

I've just finished rereading Of Beren and Luthien, and as much as I like Beren this is a refreshing change from the Silm itself, where she's perfection personified. Actually, now I think about it, it makes sense that she'd lack any kind of worldly experience whatsoever. And I tend to see Melian and Thingol as pretty loving parents, but it certainly is plausible that they'd be well-intentioned but off with the fairies (so to speak) and leave her to languish in Doriath.

I liked the way she went from spoiled, sheltered princess to a wife and mother, having to hunt and subsisting on game and/or fruit.

One thing, though - Ainu is the singular, so you'd say "being part Ainu" rather than "part Ainur". If you want an example in English, "being part Elf" makes more sense than "being part Elves".