Of Lúthien and Huan by Moreth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

She's All That

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For Huan, consenting once more to be her steed, had borne her swiftly hard upon Beren's trail.

 A grittier and more macabre version of the 'fairystory'. Warning: Contains some rather grotesque imagery.

Major Characters: Beren, Huan, Lúthien Tinúviel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Expletive Language

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 695
Posted on 26 February 2009 Updated on 26 February 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really enjoy these stories  that knock Luthien off her pedestal and in the process make her a much more interesting character. It makes perfect sense that somebody who dared to steal a Silmaril from Morgoth's head cannot be a fragile maiden who spent all her life dancing in the forest as Beren seems to believe. Skinning deer, tracking,  surviving in the wild are all skills that we may reasonable expect from her. And she had to be a strong character to get Huan to switch his allegiance from Celegorm to her.

Beren singing out of tune is wonderful.

Based on my feedback in Skinkworld, I think that you're well aware I am tickled by your gritty Lúthien and by Huan who is such a dog here!  The digging up of the corpses is done in delightfully grisly detail.  Lúthien's "voice" is so refreshing, too -- resourceful and determined -- which she had to have been as a faerie princess donned a stinky bat-hame and who tricked a dark god.  You also capture a good sense of the landscape, too -- love the crows bursting from the alders!  Beren's less than impressive singing voice was a hoot -- and she loves the big lug all the same.

I have to say that I like your Luthien very much because you made the original, kind of flat character a real woman: she is made of flesh and blood, and seems unafraid of getting her hands dirty. ;) Like your other reviewers pointed out, here we can find the heroine capable of stealing a Silmaril and cheating Morgoth :)

Most enjoyable read. Thank you for sharing!

Thsi popped up on the random story bar and I realized that I might never have commented here. I love this story. You actually made me like Luthien. Something I had never expected and Huan as a dog is wonderful. Very funny. Fairly incredible how it changes the whole feeling of the story to see it told in a realistic manner. Just amazing. Definitely one of the most memorable fanfics I have read. Is on my "must read" list, if anyone ever asks me! Great story, Moreth!