Breath of Forgiveness by IgnobleBard

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Beta: The omniscient Oshun

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor thinks over old regrets.

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: B2MeM 2009

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 441
Posted on 5 March 2009 Updated on 5 March 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This vignette has a very special vibe to it, to me it feels as if Maglor either is not ready to let go and that in a way he has not dealt with his past actions fully. There is that Feanorian pride as well, for example his demand that Manwë's wind should caress his face ere he feels that Manwë has forgiven him. Then there is the loss of his singing voice: is that his own self-inflicted punishment or not. Don't worry about if I think it isn't clear, I love stories which leaves things unsaid or for the reader themselves to figure out (although I might squee if I get your intent right). This is a great story!

Thanks, Rhapsody. You're right on all counts. Maglor can't forgive himself and, until he does, he can't be forgiven by the Valar. I tend to leave little ficlets like this vague so the reader can interpret the motivations and emotions as they see fit. Kind of mini Rorschach tests. I'm glad you enjoyed this and got so much out of it.

This is very haunting, IgB.  I can hear the waves and smell the sea, and Maglor's regret is a thing embodied.  I love the idea -- and the imagery you use to convey it -- of the wind summoning Maglor.  And then the end is suitably ambiguous:  it would seem that breeze summons Maglor but he chooses to ignore it, turning his face from the wind and contemplating another path.

Nicely done! 

What a beautifully sad and evocative story.  I do like how certain things are left open to the readers' own interpretations.  This took me back to a burial I attended about ten years ago.  It was not at all depressing despite how it sounds.  Those of us who were there read poetry, reflected on the person's life and it was all quite beautiful.  Maglor is perhaps my favourite of the Fëanorians and I did empathize with him here.

I wrote this one in response to an icon Oshun posted for one of the Back to Middle-earth challenges. It reminded me of Maglor and I was inspired to write this. I think it's wonderful when a burial celebrates a person's life in that way, with storys and poetry. Maglor is one of my favorite Feanorians too. I like his interactions with Maedhros in some of the stories I've read but he's a great character by himself too. Thank you for your comments.