No Regrets by clotho123

| | |

Fanwork Notes

image4

Fanwork Information

Summary:

An Eärendil vignette exploring why he was fated to sail the skies.  A little odd, and a little bleak.

Major Characters: Elwing, Eärendil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 962
Posted on 18 April 2009 Updated on 18 April 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is lovely, if bleak, as you said: the increasing lack of humanity in both Earendil and Elwing, and the loneliness of their fates.  It's so easy to make the Valar into familiar, human(ish) figures, and thereby diminish them, but you set them at such a remote distance as Powers and that works very well.  Earendil and Elwing, somewhere between, seem to take on some of the same pitiless distance.  Thank you!

I don't see the Silmaril being bound to Earendil's forehead, at least not all the time.

I see Earendil's life in Valinor and upwards as a bit happier; but this is definitely a valid interpretation. 

Love the image of the tower so high it pierces the clouds, and the quay where Vingilot rests.

We don't get enough stories about Earendil and this one is definitely thought-provoking.

In many ways I'd like to think Earendil's life was happier, but this story just got hold of me, in part because of how bleak Earendil sounds when talking to Elwing in canon just before she choses immortality, and now I find I can't see him any other way, sad though it is.

Thanks for reviewing

I really enjoyed this!  Bleak is a good description of it, but I can't see how else a mortal Man doomed to eternity could feel.  I've always seen Earendil as a tragic figure, wanting to be mortal but remaining out of love.  Your picture of him and Elwing growing farther and farther apart is even more sad, but I can see how it could happen.  This is a great piece; I don't think I'll ever see Earendil the same way after reading it.  Thanks!