Learning to make a fire by Lyra

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This was supposed to become a cute, fluffy little drabble about ickle Maedhros' first camping trip. Then it kidnapped my keyboard and grew into a wet, depressing beast with a cruel ending. Stupid bunnies.


Another big thank you to Elleth for nominating this for the MEFAs!

And many thanks to everyone who read and voted! ^___^

First Times

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Young Maedhros learns more than just one lesson on a soggy camping trip - and remembers these lessons much later.

Written for the B2MeM 2009 prompt, "learning to make a fire".

Major Characters: Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: B2MeM 2009

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 061
Posted on 26 May 2009 Updated on 26 May 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Surely you know by now that all Feanorian plot-bunnies have a nasty sense of humor?

This is a great story!  I love the way you sucker the reader in with a well-written account of one of those Family Vacations we all know and love (?) from our childhoods, only to add a cruel twist at the end which, unforseen by the reader, still ties in perfectly with what has gone before in the story.  You do a great job showing how Losgar is going to taint Maedhros's memories in more ways than just the obvious.

One of the best Feanor-and-young-sons stories that I can remember.  Maitimo is extremely well written; he is a very smart kid but definitely a kid who is used to the comforts of home and not happy to spend all that time in the rain with mom and dad and a screaming baby.  And I'm glad you went with the dark bitter ending; it's a great linkage and really worked well.