Geography Lessons by Ithilwen

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Amrod and Amras get a lesson in map-reading (both physical and political) from Maedhros.  Written for the "Fanon Inverted" Silmarillion Writers' Guild Challenge, taking on the "twins as pranksters" fanon convention.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Fanon Inverted

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 445
Posted on 28 June 2009 Updated on 28 June 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, I liked this a lot! I love to think about the politics of who was placed where on that map of Beleriand and this does it well. I also like to think about the ways in which Maedhros interacted with his brothers. I think it answers the fanon cliché well. The almost forgotten pranks were hilarious and very nicely balanced against the ending where Maedhros reveals what I believe he truly must have felt.

"Of course I'm trying to protect you; you've not even turned one hundred yet! I'd put all my younger brothers in the south were it feasible, but it's not; as it is, I can hardly be faulted for doing what I can to ensure my baby brothers get at least a brief chance to enjoy their young adulthood before the burdens of war descend on us all. Don't be so eager to grow up, Ambarussa; it's a highly over-rated experience."

The beginning of the letter to Fingolfin is a perfect ending also.

I'm glad you liked it, Oshun!  It's always fun to watch Maedhros being simultaneously clever and protective, and he really did handle both the tricky situation with his brothers and the political landmines of Beleriand well.  And I like the idea that the fanon cliche of the twins as the brothers Weasley arose because once (whn the twins were young), it wasn't a cliche at all; they just never get the chance (before the Nirnaeth, at least) to live down their youthful reputation.

Oh what a wonderful take and I am delighted to see what you did with this challenge. It reads so smoothly - to me - after Devious Council and the energy of the twins (Fëanorian energy doubled) just sparkles of the screen here. I hope those two enjoy growing up a tad more in peace with the youthful silvans :)

... pair of rambunctious young Elves who once filled all the fountains in Grandfather's garden with frogs and salamanders right before his spring festival party, which was made rather… memorable… by their presence, since they kept hopping into people's plates and croaked so loudly the musicians were all but drowned out.

 Oh this made me giggle so madly to imagine how the courtiers must have been shocked, or dismayed during this incidents: no music to be heard that also must have meant no political discourse at the tables.  Wonderfully written!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the story, Rhapsody.  "Devious Council" was on my mind when I was writing this; I know my Maedhros is certainly willing to manipulate his brothers for their own good, and if he can also realize some political gains in the process, that would be all thore more reason to do it.  And you'll see more of the twins (or one of them, at least) in my next fic, and learn a bit about what they've been up to down in those woods...

And I love the thought of some prim Vanyar ladies shrieking in horror when frogs suddenly go hopping right into the middle of their plates just as they are ready to take a bite to eat.  (I'm probably being unfair to the Vanyar, but I've always imagined them as rather prim and proper, as Elves go.)  No Elegant Dining, no Witty Discourse (political or otherwise), no Tasteful Music that evening, only a rather nice fascimile of a primoridal swamp.  The twins tell me that even the resulting punishment meted out by their furious grandfather was oh, so worth it!

Copy of my MEFA review:

Ithilwen has managed to turn one of the drier passages in the Silmarillion (which itself reads a bit like a geography lesson) into a moving story. What I like about this story is the way it manages to combine the subject of politics with insight into the relationships between family members. Maedhros's lesson in map-reading is very convincing in itself, showing his insight into political aims, necessary compromises and strategy, while, at the same time, it conceals his ulterior motives with regard to his brothers. If his arguments were any less lucid, they would presumably not serve to convince Amrod and Amras. For Amrod and Amras themselves are clearly not easily satisfied - Ithilwen has certainly met the terms of the Fanon Inverted challenge she set herself by making them much more responsible and strongly motivated than they are usually depicted. Given the eventual outcome of Maedhros's plotting, all this is bitter-sweet. The mutual affection between the three brothers under challenging circumstances is confirmed and, in fact, Maedhros's calculations will more or less work out on both counts, as ensuing events in Beleriand go on to show, especially after the Dagor Bragollach - but, in the end, all this will still not be enough to save Amrod and Amras (or, of course, Maedhros himself).