The Ban of the Valar by Fiondil

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Valar meet to discuss how to prevent the Númenóreans from seeking the Undying Lands.

Major Characters: Ainur

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Akallabêth in August

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 068
Posted on 5 August 2009 Updated on 5 August 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This made for an amusing read since they initially talked a lot and ignored the elephant in the room. It also leaves me to wonder that after so many ages, why the Edain are treated as mere children, especially since this is stated:

 I do not wish for these Children to seek the Undying Lands, desiring to overpass the limits set to their own bliss which Atar has granted them, becoming enamored of the immortality that is ours and the Eldar’s by virtue of our inherent natures.

And still they dance around the issue, which is once more the Valar's folly. Well illustrated!

It was great to see the Valar in action. I love this as an example of how deeds done with the best of intentions can go so wrong in the long run. But, I also like a new insight on the nature of the Valar themselves and how they are also able to err, yet Eru lets them be mistaken and--hopefully--correct their mistakes, much as things happen in real life. Thanks for a great story!

It was great to see the Valar in action. I love this as an example of how deeds done with the best of intentions can go so wrong in the long run. But, I also like a new insight on the nature of the Valar themselves and how they are also able to err, yet Eru lets them be mistaken and--hopefully--correct their mistakes, much as things happen in real life. Thanks for a great story!

Hi, Fireworks. I noticed you posted your review twice so I will only respond once. *grin* Thanks for your review. I am glad you liked the new insights on the nature of the Valar. As created beings themselves they are not perfect and are capable of making mistakes. Unfortunately, they tend to be very big mistakes. *grin*

Well, on one hand the Valar see the Atani as mere children, stubborn even more than the Eldar, but on the other, they think that the Ban -- a simple word, no more, no less -- would keep the Atani from sailing westward. Hmmm, the Valar prove that they aren't perfect. If only their mistakes weren't so gigantic...

Excellent contrubution to the Akallabeth in August. Thank you!

Thanks, Robinka. You pretty much sum up the problem the Valar have with the Atani, who are viewed as the Younger Race, even more so than the Eldar, and that is the mistake that they make. As you say, if only... I am glad you consider this an excellent contribution to the AinA. I really had fun writing these stories. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it.