Small Expectations by Noliel

Fanwork Information

Summary:

On the eve of the Numenorean-landing at the shores of Aman, Mahtan comes to see Nerdanel in her home by the coast to persuade her to come with him to Valimar.

Major Characters: Mahtan, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Akallabêth in August

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 882
Posted on 29 August 2009 Updated on 29 August 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I liked the mixed feelings that Nerdanel expresses and the implication that others don't feel the same way. Everyone else has fled, not just a few days ago but an entire month ago. She encompasses the strength of the few female characters who appear in Tolkien's work. And her conversation with her father is subtle but not filled with unnecessary mystery (like the type we'd see in Galadriel in LotR). Who can resist thinking of Feanor? O:) Mahtan says the Valar will defend their realm, and we as the reader know it's not true. In the end, it's Iluvatar who defends it. So does she have small expectations of the Valar or of Men? She doesn't know Men but she thinks fleeing before them is a joke. The command comes from the Valar, also a big joke. When she decides to stay, I don't get the impression it's because of the Valar or Men but because of Feanor. If Feanor could not successfully rebel/defeat the Valar, then there's no way Men will succeed. Nicely done. A good read. :)

I love that you chose to approach Pharazôn's arrival from a point of view I would never have expected. She's stubborn Nerdanel to the core, still missing her Spirit of Fire. And stubborn enough to defy common sense. No, I can't see her giving in to fear when she's already lived through the most horrific event in Valinor.

Well done!