The last gift of Oromë by SkyEventide

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The story includes hunting-related blood and gore, as well as ritualistic eating of raw meat and blood drinking. It depicts animal death in several instances, also due to the hunting themes. None of it aims to squick or disturb the reader per se, but it's graphic and definitely present. 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Celegorm, who was friend of Oromë, who often visited the Vala's house and learnt the language of all birds and beasts - but hunted them also. This is a story of the noontide of Valinor, of a hunting party and of the deities of bow and arrow, loyalty yet untarnished, gifts and wisdom, and what it means to understand and talk to the things you kill. Sometimes Snow White and the Huntsman are the same person.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s), Aredhel, Celegorm, Huan, Oromë, Tilion

Major Relationships: Celegorm/Oromë, Celegorm/Tilion, Celegorm & Huan, Celegorm/Original Character

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, General, Poly, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings, Sexual Content (Graphic), Violence (Graphic)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 7, 381
Posted on 14 February 2021 Updated on 24 April 2021

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Language notes:

1. Quenya names are used throughout. Celegorm is referred to as Tyelkormo or Turco, his familial nickname (c/k spelling depends entirely on my aesthetic preferences and there's nothing I can do about it). Aredhel is ĺrissë, she is at one time called Arafániel, the Quenya adaptation of Ar-Feiniel; I additionally decided to have Celegorm call her Arelda as the Quenya adaptation of Aredhel, though I haven't made up my mind about whether Arelda/Aredhel is another sobriquet or a mother-name. In any case, the names used here are ĺrissë Arelda Arafániel.
2. Elwenon is a name that is weirdly close to Elwë and I know it, but the compounding is made from elwen (heart, Lost Tales) + on (stone), not Elwë+non. Andaleptë is taken from Qenya anda-lepta, long-fingered. Indilerë is indil (lily) + erë (draft word for iron, Lost Tales). Sartaldir is from sarta (loyal) and I don't remember how I compounded it, I'm very sorry. Hlarindë is a neologism for hearer, and Rániel, it's intended as wayward-daughter but also an easter egg for the alternative name of moon, once it comes into existence. I know there's no reason at all to explain the names of all these OCs but I'm like that.
3. Arǭmēz is the Valarin name of Oromë. Nielíqui is originally, in early drafts, the daughter of Oromë and Vána, here I reinterpreted her as a Maia of Vána who also follows her not-dad sometimes.
4. Thou/thee is used as the informal singular form to remark a difference in rank. Celegorm uses it with his lord, Oromë uses it with Celegorm, but not the other way around.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

SkyEventide has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Pacing, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.