In the House of Feanor by Aiwen

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Short stories containing members of House Feanor doing interesting, amusing, and strange things. Chapter Nine: Of Mice and Maiar. 

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 9 Word Count: 3, 752
Posted on 13 July 2009 Updated on 13 November 2014

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Disclaimer: These stories are based on the Silmarillion, the Book of Unfinished Tales, the Lord of the Rings and the HoME by Proff. J.R.R. Tolkien. I make no money from this whatever, so kindly do not attempt to sue me.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd had the mental image of Gil-galad, Finrod and the toy for a long time, but it wasn't until Curufin intervened that I had a story. Thank you for the feedback. The accidental review of my own work was me trying to reply to your review. Sorry, my brain is obviously numb.

That chapter was basically a character study to spell out the relationships between the characters. I find the ways people think and interact very interesting. And just because I admire Finrod doesn't mean everyone else likes him or that he is easy to live with if you have a guilty conscience. Thank you for the feedback. 

I'm glad you liked it. I find JRR Tolkien has a tendency to leave women nameless unless they are directly involved in the story, with the result you abruptly get female characters appearing from nowhere in the later HoME books as required. To be fair, Argon does that too so it isn't exclusively female characters.Thank you for the feedback. 

The pun on the names (if pun is the proper word for this kind of word play) is very well done. But what makes it even better is how it fits into your characterization of Celebrimbor here--and, of course, the idea of the encounter itself, which seems a very logical thing to happen, but which I don't remember having read a description of before.

The only thing that is perhaps slightly confusing is the name of the apprentice. Did you want it to resemble that of Celebrimbor's uncle? If so, I can't quite see why?

I'm glad you liked the pun and thought it fit.

Carantir is an OC from Rings of Pride and Ruin who was of the Gwaith-i-Mirdain and involved in the Rings of Power fiasco. The name isn't intended to be confused with Caranthir and I don't think thir and tir are from the same root. I'm not sure about that. I was using tir, as in tower (tirith), so the name is supposed to mean red tower. In this story you see Carantir's earlier history as one of Celebrimbor's apprentices and one of Curufin's people who stayed in Nargothrond. Iwanted to get some continuity between these shorts and my longer stories.

An excellent glimpse of T&C's first meeting, Aiwen!  Completely believable, and very well-executed.  And your take on Agarwaen/Umarth is very interesting!  This part of the canon is far more gap than story -- all Tolkien actually says about C is "In that time Celebrimbor the son of Curufin repudiated the deeds of his father, and remained in Nargothrond."  Most people (for whatever reason) take that to mean C --renounced-- his father.  Personally I take JRRT's sentence literally as written: "repudiated the deeds of" falls way short of renouncing his father (let alone his whole family, as some seem to write him).  You seem to take a very believable middle path :) 

 

I'm glad you like it. I think Celebrimbor hates what the House of Feanor is becoming and refuses to follow their current path, but he can't change the fact that he is Feanor's grandson and a craftsman is what he IS. He lives and breathes creating things and learning. To stop inventing and creating would be to stop being alive.