In crafts of making he had less skill by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The drabble is inspired by Alasse's artwork for the B2MeM prompt "Impatience" (G48 Balsamine: Impatience (113. Card: Language of flowers)), showing Beleg and Turin, and the quotation from the chapter "Turin in Doriath" that went with it.

Link to Alasse's artwork
The quotation is: "Often Beleg Strongbow came to Menegroth to seek him, and led him far afield, teaching him woodcraft and archery and (which he liked more) the handling of swords; but in crafts of making he had less skill, for he was slow to learn his own strength, and often marred what he made with some sudden stroke." ("Turin in Doriath", Children of Hurin / Narn i Hin Hurin, Unfinished Tales).

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Two lessons for Turin: one with Sador, and one with Beleg.
He learns not as much as he might.

Major Characters: Beleg, Sador Labadal, Túrin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: B2MeM 2019

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 202
Posted on 16 May 2021 Updated on 16 May 2021

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This ties in perfectly with the Narn as we know it - a very good (but bittersweet) reminder that Túrin had some good teachers, and unfortunately didn't learn the lessons they could have taught him...

That "almost" at the end of Labadal's comment, just love it!

Oh, and there is so much familiarity in Turin's exasperated reactions to his imperfect early attempts. Fortunately, Beleg has the patience of one who has much time (albeit less than he thinks).