Memento Mori by Lferion

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the SWG May 2021 challenge "Book by it's Cover". My prompt was this cover

Many thanks to Zhie and Runa for encouragement and sanity checking.

On AO3 here

Fanwork Information

Summary:

What did they mean, these small, precise assemblages?

Major Characters: Celegorm

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General, Suspense

Challenges: Book by Its Cover

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 202
Posted on 30 May 2021 Updated on 30 May 2021

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


That is rather terrifying, the thought of these dotted around the landscape, but the reality encoded is even more terrifying, of course.

I suppose this is a discovery Celegorm makes early on after his arrival in Middle-earth?

I loved this little story. The starting sentence is very strong, it pulls you into the sense of curiosity and wonder. The markings left by others to identify things, with little bones, both ominous and somehow melancholic, full of grief. Little memorials of bones. It suggests a wider world, a sense of things that came before. Really enjoyable.

Thank you so much! It was kind of creepy to write, since it was one of those pieces that doesn't give you all the information up front, only as you write it, so I only knew a little more than Celegorm for most of it.