Then and now, Maglor's thoughts on Celegorm by Aprilertuile

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story answers to the prompt : Artistic Swimming: Individual athletes in perfectly synchronized motion… this event invites you to look at parallels, whether of characters or storylines, either within the Legendarium or outside of it. Are they part of the same dance? Are they moving in perfect harmony? Or are there goofs and flaws in the choreography?

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor observes his brother Celegorm, and can't help but think of the differences now, after Nargothrond, compared to before, in Aman.

 

Major Characters: Celegorm, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Middle-earth Olympics

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 188
Posted on 25 July 2021 Updated on 25 July 2021

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Aprilertuile has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Plot, Point of View, Research, Setting, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


The parallels and contrasts between then and now--painful! But the ending, even if it wasn't exactly happy, still had a bit of consolation in it.

And I liked the descriptions, both of past Celegorm and present!

Aah, ow. Celegorm losing Huan will never not make me sad (even if he did very much bring it upon himself). 

I like your choice of letting us see both the parallels and the changes through the eyes of his brother. The little detail of Celegorm still being so gentle with the animals but also refusing to get any of his own anymore made me feel things T-T

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

That little detail is a bit heartbreaking, I'll admit. But I can't imagine him just... Replacing his dogs and any other animal he once had at this point of his life.

His situation was too unstable, and educating/training an animal is extremely emotionally investing... And at this point in time I can't see him being in the right mindset to do it, but I can perfectly well see him aware that he shouldn't and... not taking in any other animal as a result. 

Besides no dog will ever come close to Huan... ;)

Oh yes, it absolutely makes sense that Celegorm wouldn't be in the right mindset to train/get emotionally invested in new animals, and that he'd recognize that. I didn't mean to imply otherwise! It's a sad situation to be in especially since he clearly loves animals so much, and it's just one (outward) sign (which Maglor recognizes here) how he is very much not doing well, so it gives me a lot of feelings T-T But I mean that as a good thing!