Finwean Correspondences on the Topic of the Edain (Posthumously Selected by Elrond Half-Elven) by Dialux, Anne Wolfe, Idrils Scribe, Dawn Felagund, Aprilertuile, janeways, Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written by the members of the Middle-earth Olympics team "House of Finwe" for the Tennis challenge.

("Tennis is ultimately a game of back-and-forth (grunting optional). This prompt is an epistolary challenge: Grab a friend or few and write some letters back and forth. Maybe you each choose a character and have them correspond...")

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Letters to and from the Feanorians, on the entry of humans to Beleriand.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Finrod Felagund, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges: Middle-earth Olympics

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 7 Word Count: 5, 544
Posted on 8 August 2021 Updated on 12 August 2021

This fanwork is complete.

Finrod

Read Finrod

To my dearest (and, regrettably (solely due to the irreconcilable differences between your parents, I assure you), only) twin cousins,

You’ll never imagine what I found in the last fortnight! 

I went hunting with your brothers- the ever-glorious Maedhros and Maglor, long may the sun shine on their faces. However, as I’m sure you remember, your brothers tend to become single-minded on a hunt (perhaps something to do with having to provide for all of your hungry mouths in the dusty hills of Ered Mithrim?) and I wearied within two months of chasing after one specific buck that seemed to have the blessings of Vana, Orome and Namo. I therefore went on to the northern reaches of Ossiriand, which holds the richest elm trees that I’ve ever seen- including Yavanna’s Pastures under the Light of the Trees- but stumbled upon lights in the evening.

I know what you’re thinking- and I did check to see if they were orcs before approaching- but they spoke a different language, and sang unlike any dwarf or elf I’ve ever heard. And the creatures themselves! What marvelous people! They are quite small- similar enough to us in likeness, perhaps- but smaller and rougher, both in hair and skin. They call themselves humans, though I learned that only after some time.

I sang amongst them that night, using the harp that one of them had laid down before sleeping: rudimentary and rough-shod, as one might see for a child’s first attempts at hewing one from wood, but well-tuned nevertheless. Later, I learned that the harp itself was Balan’s, their leader’s, and that he’d built it himself; he and his people enjoy singing and music as much as we do, and I therefore spent many long weeks teaching them our language and learning theirs. 

However, they do not hear all that we hear- not the speech of the birds (as one of your brothers is wont to do, to all our detriment), not the songs of the trees, not even the language of many animals, though they have domesticated some dogs and other livestock for their own use. And life in Ossiriand… as you can imagine, the Laiquendi here are not happy with their tree-cutting or their beast-hunting. The humans are much more akin to a Noldoran temperament than any of the Laiquendi- this has caused quite the uproar amongst the Laiquendi, and they’re demanding that the humans leave so long as they break the peace the Laiquendi have grown accustomed to. One of them even told me to my face that they’d “afflict them in all ways that we can,” which was rather frightening when coming from someone with red hair and hanging off a tree- I’m not used to anyone delivering threats of quite such weight while upside-down or with a face painted like a dancer at the height of the Summer Festival.

I did not panic. I very admirably told the Laiquendi that I had a plan. I then told Balan that I had a plan. I then, very quickly, decided to go off alone for a while to think about a plan. 

While some of the humans intend to remain near Thargelion, others wish to dwell further to the west. Sending them to Maglor would leave them as cannon fodder; sending them to Maedhros would leave them as cupbearers and water-drawers for the cannon fodder; sending them to Celegorm and Curufin would be akin to sending unwitting suspects into an archery range. Of the lands to the east, yours remain the kindest and most able to support others- and I do remember you mentioning some assistance you’d like for taming the land a few years ago. If you’d still like that assistance (and I can’t imagine that you don’t, if you’re just as lazy as I remember you being), I have a number of people that will aid you in that, for free, if you give them building materials and promises of aid. 

Reply by pigeon if you have any objections!

Give my respects to our cousins if Uncle-King Fingolfin decides to hold another family reunion, and my apologies to Maedhros and Maglor for running off- though they should be used to it by now, really- and my love to everyone else if you get the chance. 

See you in a few years,

Finrod

Amras and Amrod

Read Amras and Amrod

To our favorite k̶i̶n̶g̶  n̶o̶!̶  brother Maedhros, hoping very much that all remains well in your domain, et cetera.

We have just heard of your recent hunting trip with Finrod, and h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶f̶u̶l̶   a̶r̶e̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶v̶i̶t̶e̶d̶  hope you were able to carry a respectable prize back to that sun-forsaken fortress of yours.

How did we learn of this hunt, you ask? Straight from the Arafinwëan’s mouth, as it were; he has sent us a letter all about it. (And, incidentally, his love to you all. As a matter of purely geographical convenience, we must ask that you take up the task of forwarding these sentiments to our remaining brothers. We cannot be expected to spare more than one messenger at a time!) Since he has, then, clearly sent you no correspondence since his return, we a̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶e̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶v̶o̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶s̶i̶n̶s̶  thought it might be wise to inform you of some of his discoveries.

If his account is accurate, you may remember turning around at the end of a grand chase to find Finrod missing. And although we cannot know what you did thereafter, h̶o̶p̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶!̶  we do know what he did, and what he claims to have found.

You will hardly believe this, but he found people. Not orcs, or dwarves, or elves, although of the three he says they look most like us. They call themselves “humans,” if their habits have not changed since Finrod left them. He seems to think them very much like children: small and loud, but not entirely unskilled— one of them made a harp, for example, and Finrod says it worked. Much unlike children, however, they have had some success in hunting, which (we are told) has greatly displeased their neighbors among the Laiquendi. But we will see more clearly what they are like when we meet them.

In explaining this last remark, we come to the reason (probably) that he wrote to us and not you: the Laiquendi only want them to leave, caring very little where they go; and willing, apparently, to do some frightening things to make them go. Finrod,̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶f̶e̶r̶e̶r̶,̶  thinks they may like our land, if we will let them share it.

Anyway, after thinking it over we can think of no real objections to this notion of Finrod’s. Being the youngest we have very few followers with us now to keep the enemy’s creatures away from the door, and moreover s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶i̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶u̶p̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶’̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶s̶t̶e̶p̶  there is the problem of food. So they will be quite helpful to us here, and we are sure you would appreciate an increase in the frequency of grain shipments.

If you should have any concerns about the veracity of these claims, they might be best directed to Finrod i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶  if you happen to have one of his pigeons. Failing that, you may try the humans’ leader: his name is Balan, and he is located somewhere in Ossiriand where there are also Laiquendi. Finrod says he knows how to speak our language, now, so even if he cannot read, if you send a non-bird messenger there will surely be no trouble at all.

If you do not send us any word within a year, we will conclude that you wholeheartedly approve of our plans, and will invite all the humans to come encamp on our land for as long as they like.

Best regards,

Amras and Amrod

 

P.S. Finrod apologizes for running off from the hunting trip.

-Amras

 

P.P.S. We would not have run off.

-Amrod

Maedhros

Read Maedhros

To my brother Caranthir, Lord of Thargelion, 

 

I hope this letter finds you well. How are relations with the Dwarves? The Naugrim always did love those pearls you trade with Círdan. They still pay you in mithril, I presume? I am told your hoard is approaching dragon-like proportions. 

With so many mercantile endeavours that need seeing to, I can hardly blame you for losing track of the twins. Our brothers are young, obsessed with hunting, and as efficient at running a country as a pair of squirrels in a smithy. Nonetheless we need them to produce the grain to feed our troops, which is why I told you to keep an eye on them. 

Instead, I got a letter from our dearest youngsters (copy enclosed for your enjoyment), informing me that not only are they adopting a whole tribe of Mortals - who, according to my preliminary intelligence, breed and eat like rabbits - but they are also conveniently positioning them on prime farmland. I would not dream of laying these unfortunate decisions at your door, but stars above Caranthir, I told you to keep an eye on them!

I know you are not inclined to philosophy or metaphysics, so I will not bore you with the cosmological implications of the appearance of the long-awaited Secondborn. Finrod found them on our hunting trip - and before you get started: yes, I went hunting with Finrod. So did Maglor. I know you don’t get along with our Arafinwëan cousins, but belligerence is not a constructive attitude when drumming up support for the siege. 

Please, Caranthir, apply some of those anger management techniques we discussed last time and keep yourself from sending Finrod some rude missive blaming him for all this. Do not even think about riding to Nargothrond to “speak your mind”. I forbid it. I’m still mopping up the mess from your latest spat with Angrod. 

Instead I order you (yes Caranthir, I order you. I am well aware that I am no longer king of the Noldor, not in the least because you keep harping about it at every opportunity, but I am still the head of this House and therefore your liege lord); I order you to go visit the Ambarussa forthwith and take reconnaissance. If these Secondborn can be trained into something resembling decent warriors, they can stay. If not, tell Amras in no uncertain terms that they’re Mortals, not abandoned fawns for him to adopt, and have them removed. 

As an aside, I’ve been trying to get hold of Celegorm but he seems lost in some trackless woodland or other - one presumes it’s the same one as Aredhel. If you should meet him, pound it into that thick skull of his that these Mortals are speaking creatures, and he should not even think about hunting them for sport. The Petty-dwarf debacle is still too fresh in everyone’s minds. 

 

Trusting that you’ll do the responsible thing for once,

 

Maedhros Fëanorion, Lord of Himring, Eldest of the House of Fëanor in Middle-earth, and therefore The One In Charge.

Caranthir

Read Caranthir

Most esteeméd Eldest Lord of Himlad, Celegorm Fëanorion, greetings and blessings upon House and hunt:

May the stars shine upon the parchment at your reading and dim only with fullest moonrise:

May the sun shine, actually, as that makes more sense, upon this parchment to make its letters soothing upon thine eye as the cool waters of Lake Helevorn upon heated skin:

Anyway, I have received a most curious missive about the twins from Maed


Lord Celegorm of Himlad:

I write to you beneath a splendid autumn sun that I hope likewise smiles upon your vast and lovely lands, enriching both hunt and harvest. I have recently received a most curious missive from our eldest brother Maedhros who resides upon the coldest, most northerly reaches. The missive concerned our youngest of brothers Amrod and Amras (erstwhile, the Ambarussa) who reside upon the most verdant, southerly reaches (at least as far as we Fëanorians go). It will likely surprise you not that they have taken in their minds to adopt these newly arrived "Mortals" much like the time they "adopted" what they thought was an evaporating pool full of "tadpoles" into their bathtub and we ended up with a house full of mosquitoes. They have always had a heart for the frail and multitudinous.

Our brother (Maedhros) has generally earned his reputation as being Wise and Prudent (at least compared to the rest of us), but I fear I cannot agree with his latest decision as far as concerns the management of our family. He has taken, quite inappropriately I assure you, that I am to blame for the twins' notion, as though they lack entirely in their own autonomy. As one of the middle brothers, caught along with me as the proverbial foil betwixt hammer and anvil, I am certain you will share in my perturbation with his audacity in ordering me to the Southlands to resolve this matter. As one given to hunt at the twins' side, I imagine your ire compounded by affront on their behalf, as though they lack the autonomy to make decisions in consideration of the needs of their own realm (quite far from his! quite!) and following the magnetic pull of their own moral compasses. As I am quite piqued, I can only imagine the extent of your outrage.

While I know the roads are long and rather rugged at this season, I hope I can prevail upon you to serve in my stead. Yes, the weather may turn foul at any moment, but the hunting in the South is particularly nice at this time of year, I've heard. I know you will not want to leave your capers within your own realm but I hope

ah hell


Tyelko:

Hey. Have you received any letter from Maedhros lately by chance? I certainly have. It was remarkably interesting for a letter from our brother, surprisingly lacking in harvest data, military schemes, and mentions of our cousin Fingon. Why, you might wonder, when those three things comprise about 99% of Maedhros's interests, whatever did he have to say?

You may have heard of these so-called "Mortals" discovered by our cousin Finrod while supposedly hunting with our brothers Maedhros and Maglor, though I would note that he was closer to your realm than to theirs and consider why he may have asked them and not you. But that's beside the point. In true pie-eyed conniving Arafinwion fashion, he solved the thorny diplomatic dilemma presented by these Mortals in Laiquendi lands by prevailing upon the most empty-headed of our brothers who have always loved furry helpless things as these Mortals purportedly are. I would remind you, at this point, that these same brothers are most closely aligned with you and that you (not I) spent considerable time providing for their tutelage in our salad days in Aman, instilling in them this love of weak, furry, &c things.

Naturally, you know the outcome: that the twins mean to accept these Mortals into their realm, much to Maedhros's chagrin, causing him to prevail on me to assess the situation and convince them otherwise, as will likely be required. I, however, do not wish to go. It is an unusually lovely autumn here in Thargelion, and I would rather occupy myself with swimming in the lake by day and keeping warm by spiced cider and my wife in bed by night, with my greatest inconvenience the daily tallying of the ledgers of Dwarven gold. Naturally, I do not expect you will care.

Therefore, I will remind you of a certain incident, long-gone, whereby you--in your cups and "distracting" a certain dressmaster with your insipid blue eyes and pointless title and errant hands--caused a euphemistically termed "wardrobe malfunction" in the young Prince Nolofinwë at his presentation to the court at his majority, for aptly placed pins were not properly replaced with stitching for the hands that should have been busy with such task were pulling something quite different from needle and thread. It created, you might recall, quite a "sticking situation" and--you might also recall--was blamed upon me. Even then understanding in theory, if not practice, the notion of compound interest, I allowed the deposit of blame and have kept it in store all of these years until the principle of the matter has grown considerably. You did not speak up then, but I will happily speak up now and unwind the frail allegiance that has grown between our house and Fingolfin's due to Maedhros's machinations if you do not agree to make this first payment toward your debt to me under the following terms:

You will travel south to our brothers. They do, after all, listen to you more than they listen to me. You will assess and report to me what you observe, and I will take the credit with Maedhros, much as I took the blame all those yéni afore. Take a sturdy horse and dress warmly, for I hear both roads and weather are rough at this time of year.

Furthermore, note that this is but a single payment and the interest compounds daily, doubled when you are unkind to me. I look forward to your report, which will surely be delivered with the deference and gratitude that is my due for providing you with this scintillating opportunity, and also to exacting further payments in discharging your debt.

Your loving little brother,

Caranthir Fëanorion

Celegorm

Read Celegorm

To my brother Maglor,

Prince of the Gap,

 

Greetings to you.

You know you're my almost favorite elder brother, right?

Actually, when it comes to avoid political problems with the nolofinwëans, you might be my favorite elder brother really. See?

Anyway, so here's the thing, as you've perhaps heard by now, our cousin Finrod found new "mortals" and dumped them on Amrod and Amras who seemed to have decided to adopt them, according to Caranthir.

I have no idea what kind of creature they are, but I suppose it might be interesting to see, so long they're not orcs or allies of Morgoth in some ways.

If they are I guess it might be still interesting to see, if only to know how to hunt them best... That's something to think about at least. But let’s have some amount of confidence in the twins. They decided to adopt them so surely they have some amount of trust in the fact those aren’t actually fell beasts of some sort.

If the new adopted pets of our twin brothers are somehow allies of Morgoth anyway... Do you think they're edible?

I'm just asking in case one day we end up having a hard time of it you know. I mean, we're already aware that orcs aren't edible, and that neither are wargs and that spiders are downright poisonous in the first place and the rest of his fell beasts and the like is better left untouched, so...

I mean, we have to consider all options available right?

If by case I was to hunt one of those new things that Finrod discovered, do you want me to keep you updated on whether or not they're edible and all?

Anyway, so following the discovery that our younger brothers adopted those “mortals”, our much beloved elder brother, in his wisdom if that's what we want to call his insane mother-henning tendencies, I mean, he does realize we're not in our 30s anymore and are, in fact, adults and lords in our own right, right?, decided to ask our soon-to-be dearly-sorry-for-some-of-his-life-choices brother Caranthir to check on the twins and those new critters.

But Caranthir decided to try to blackmail me into doing it for him because of reasons.

As you know yourself by experience, that's not going to work. So, I might have to go and see, for safety's sake... And because I might be a bit curious, but I won't report to Caranthir.

So, if by case, an old inconsequential story of wardrobe malfunction... That once concerned our revered high-king, you surely remember that incident, Caranthir had been in an absolute foul mood for ages for that one. Anyway, if that story was to... Come up again... Surely, you'd agree that we have other, bigger subjects of preoccupation, right? Surely Nolofinwë wouldn't quite care anymore about that?

Thinking on it, I might have to warn Curufin if he's not already aware. Since, you know, he might be somewhat concerned shall someone take offence to something I did or didn’t do, or allegedly did, in the next... Oh, few months or so.

On another note, not unrelated mind you, apparently cousin Finrod found those new mortals of his while he was hunting with you. Why, brother dearest, was cousin Finrod alone to find those mortals if he was supposed to be with you?

Did you manage to lose him somehow?

Because you know that's absolutely terrible hunting practice and that if you wanted to get rid of our cousin, there's far better ways to do that, right? I mean, in Aman it was already bad hunting practice to lose people from your hunting party, but here in Beleriand it’s almost guaranteed to get someone killed and could be considered kinslaying in its own right.

Not that I'd judge if you wanted to get rid of our delightful cousin, mind you, but I thought you actually liked him? Did that change? Should I be concerned?

Your favorite hunter, I'm sure.

Celegorm.

PS: Also, while I still think about that, you might want to talk to our most beloved elder brother, you know... So, he wouldn't take too much offense at that situation with Caranthir. You know, we, younger siblings can't really help it right? And it's really, really not worthy of Maedhros ranting at us.

Even in the event that wardrobe story came back up in conversations somehow... With our uncle, high-king... I mean, it's just a minor incident, right? Really not worth Maedhros' anger, I'm sure, so if you'd be so nice as to, perhaps, you know... Do your thing and be tactful and diplomatic and keep him from getting worked up over our affairs, I'd be grateful.

 

Maglor

Read Maglor

Dearest brother Curufinwë, second of that name—

From the North, greetings and glad tidings!

Well, not really. Your brother Tyelkormo has gotten himself embroiled in some convoluted scheme of Moryo’s and I am officially making it your duty to supervise him.

(Do not reproach me that he is “our” brother, either, for you know as well as I do that he is and always has been your problem. You are always getting him into some sort of trouble or another—Do you remember that time you bribed Tyelko to distract Nolofinwë’s tailor before his presentation at court? Because I do—and now it shall be your duty to get him out of it. Neither reproach me that I am not the eldest and I cannot tell you what to do; I was your King, forget you not, and if you argue with me I shall make Maitimo tell you, for you know he will do as I ask, and he is the eldest and then you shall have no other choice, and you shall be right well embarrassed about it, too.

As far as I can gather, our golden-haired cousin of the harp has made himself friends amongst the Secondborn, who have in turn made enemies of the Laiquendi whose land they meandered onto (perhaps the Laiquendi would have a less difficult time getting along with them if they spent less time talking to trees and more time talking to those of us who keep the forces of Moringotto at bay for them, but—I digress). In any event, Ingoldo decided the Twins would be best suited to host these Secondborn (an assessment with which I must confess I do not wholly disagree), so the Twins wrote to Maitimo to ask for his blessing, and Maitimo asked Moryo to go and make some observations of the Secondborn, and Moryo has now foisted this responsibility upon Tyelko because the weather is bad and Tyelko is closer and Moryo does not want to go. (Do not whine to me about being the last to hear, either, for you might have heard sooner if you were less vehemently in agreement with our father of blessed memory on that subject.)

So. You are going to find him and supervise him. Make sure he does not eat them. I repeat: The Secondborn are not for eating! Nor are they for sport. They are to remain alive and unspoiled. You know how he is. Tell him also that we did not lose Ingoldo, we simply let him meander away and did not deign to follow him or inquire after his whereabouts. There is a difference; namely, whether or not it was intentional, which I assure you it very much was. Trust me, if you were subjected night after night after night to his poetry, his dirges, his lamentations for Valinor and/or Amarië, his readings of treatises, his musings on some such or another topic--you would have lost him, too. Stars above. He seemed far less annoying when he studied with me as a child, and that is saying something.

Consider this a much-needed opportunity to wrest yourself from the workshop and enjoy the fresh air. I hear Ossiriand is lovely this time of year.

Yours &c.,

Makalaurë Kanafinwë, Second Son of the First House of the Noldor

 

Curufin

Read Curufin

To Nelyafinwe, Lord of the Marches and Himring, Head of the House of Feanaro (and rightful King of the Noldor, if he had not decided to abdicate in a fit of diplomacy), sometimes known as Maedhros—his brother Curufinwe sends respectful (but not overly respectful) greetings.

Copies to be sent to my brothers Makalaure at the Gap and Carnistir at Helevorn (am I the only one who bothers to copy in any others on tidings of major significance, around here?)

Returning from Nogrod to Himlad, I found that Tyelkormo had recently departed, leaving Tyelperinquar with unclear instructions—my son was under the impression that Tyelko had learned of the lair of some new kind of game animal and gone hunting. Details were suspiciously lacking. I had just begun my investigation of Tyelko’s room and found Carnistir’s letter, when Makalaure’s messenger arrived with his letter to me, and I was able to compare the two and gain at least some inkling of what had been going on.

I am very disappointed, by the way, that my intentions with regard to that long-ago wardrobe malfunction incident are still not sufficiently appreciated. I was trying to uphold the honour of the House of Feanaro! And with minimal cooperation from any of you except for Tyelko, I have to say. If I had had more to work with, I am sure there would have been no repercussions for Carnistir or anyone else!

But all that aside, I was seriously disturbed that, when the very people of whom we were told that they are designed to supplant us appeared on the scene, none of you three thought it necessary to go and inspect them! And apparently, it was thought I was not trustworthy enough to be informed, even, merely because I hold by Father’s words as much as is our manifest duty, until Makalaure got concerned about Tyelko and his chronic preoccupation with edibility? I hope you have at least considered how to communicate about these arrivals with our dwarven allies, Carnistir.

In any case, as you probably have already deduced, I am writing to you from the banks of the Celon, near the place which is already being called The Encampment, after the Aftercomers who are now encamped there. I managed to catch up with Tyelko just before he arrived here, as he had stopped to converse with an acquainted bear or two on the way. I have reluctantly refrained from assassinating any of the Aftercomers, so do not worry about that. I do not think it would count as Kinslaying, as I vehemently reject any imputation of kinship with these creatures, but I am fully aware that the shared name of ‘Children of Eru’ will cause the more sentimental among us to think differently. I also do realize the importance of not offending our cousin Findarato unnecessarily, Nelyafinwe. And, of course, I want to avoid upsetting the sensibilities of the Ambarussa, if I can help it!

Tyelko has also been dissuaded by me from any hands-on (or maybe I should say teeth-in) experiments. It seems that instead he has solved the question of edibility to his satisfaction by consulting some of his four-footed friends. I have not inquired too deeply, as I find the whole idea distinctly unappetizing.

Fortunately, I am now a lot less worried about the Aftercomers supplanting us any time in the near future, despite their thoroughly shocking birth rates. The Sindar may have been called us Noldor quarrelsome, but that was before they had experienced these Aftercomers! I doubt they can agree among themselves long enough to carry out a successful plot against us. Despite their initial sycophantic admiration for Findarato, some of them have uttered doubts that Morgoth is as hostile and dangerous as he says he is, which clearly is taking natural scepticism a step too far! Findarato may not be as wise as they imagine he is, but he never had an ulterior motive in his life and I don’t think he even knows how to economize with the truth. You would think that would be obvious even to them.  

It has caused a lot of dissension among them, as those who consider Findarato their shining fount of wisdom are righteously incensed at this insult to their hero. I have actually heard one of the sceptics advocate for leaving Beleriand again. With luck, that opinion will gain more followers and the problem will eventually solve itself that way!

How do I know all this? No stealth skills of the Laiquendi were required. You can hear these people shout a mile off, even when they are not quarrelling, as they so often are. Tyelko is just a little irritated with them for scaring away some of his animal friends and I am surprised the Ambarussa haven’t taken to wearing ear muffs.

Meanwhile, the Aftercomers do seem to be quite willing to engage in grain production and do not resist the levying of some tribute in exchange for the permission to settle. At least in that, the Twins’ optimism seems justified. That should allay your concerns over sufficient supplies for Himring somewhat, Nelyafinwe? They are, however, emphatically not cute, whatever the Ambarussa may say. I guess it is just the excessive hairiness that is provoking that instinctive reaction in those who are overly fond of furry creatures? I really cannot see what else could appeal, except possibly the etymology of some of the words in their language which appear to have been originally borrowed from Khuzdul.

I will remain here only a little longer to make sure I have not missed any indications of anything untoward, and then return to Himlad, taking care to remove Tyelko as well, to be on the safe side. I am not entirely sure what Tyelperinquar is getting up to in both our absence and I would prefer not to leave him unsupervised for too long. Undoubted genius that he is, it is better to keep an eye on him! I would prefer not to have to deal with the consequences of any major explosions this year, even if it all goes to further Eldarin knowledge and Tyelperinquar never causes the same kind of explosion twice.

 

Yours faithfully (but above all faithful to our Father and the  Great House of Feanaro),

your brother Curufinwe

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


What a delightful series of letters. The "tennis" format was perfect for this, I think - each of the brothers (+ Finrod) has his very own voice, and while a single writer might have managed to pull that off as well, it gets across even better because the letters were actually written by different people. I loved the very different views and concerns of the brothers, as well as the delay in reactions due to the fact (as Curufin rightly criticises) that nobody bothers to send copies. Their personalities shone so clearly, from the disturbing (Celegorm's obsession with edibility...) to the funny (Amrod's and Amras' tongue-in-cheek remarks) to the serious and "rational" (Maedhros). The dirty laundry that came to light (and the various attempts at shifting the blame and/or mitigating the possible fall-out) made it even more entertaining. I feel insulted on the behalf of the hairy, quarrelsome mortals - but at the same time, the brothers' reactions are very plausible!